(How to Have) Out of Body Experiences

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
We are limited on the physical world, we are somewhat trapped inside our bodies. There is still a part of us that can go beyond these limits and thus travel outside the body.

There are three types of traveling out of the body. An out of body experience or astral travel is when the "spirit" exits the body, still connected to the body, and then returns to the body after a short while. The spirit is still connected to the body by what some say is a "silver cord" attached to the body and to the spirit. This would explain why the body doesn't die when 

the spirit travels outside.

Many people have reported going out of their body when they have died. Obviously, they returned to the body that was still able to live and report their experience. These are called NDE's or Near Death Experiences. Many people, after having an NDE have changed their ways of life. They live a more peaceful and a much more fulfilling life understanding to some degree what is waiting for them after death.

Another kind of experience can be explained, by some, as reincarnation. The body dies, the spirit exits and comes back in another body.

Anyone can have an out of body experience, many people have, but just haven't cared to try and understand it. Here is a simple guide to astral travel.

-----

Find a comfortable room, dimly lit or even dark. It is best  you are not disturbed during this. Lie down and relax, loosen clothes or take them off, and remove anything that is limiting  your need to relax.

Close your eyes and relax your body and mind. Breathe easy,  slowly, and deeply in rhythm, mouth slightly open. 

Focus on a single image as you begin to fall asleep. When you reach the state bordering sleep and wakefulness, deepen your relaxation by concentrating on the blackness beyond your eyelids.

Focus on a point about twelve inches away from your forehead and slowly extend that point to a distance of about five to six feet. Draw an imaginary line parallel to your body. Focus on that plane, imagine vibrations and bring them down into your forehead.

Control the vibrations by guiding them through your body, from your head to your toes and back again. When you can produce these vibrations on mental command, you are ready to travel.

To leave the body, concentrate on how pleasant it would be to float upward. Concentrate on these relaxed thoughts and your 

astral body should begin to rise.

To return to the body simply concentrate on rejoining the body and the spirit.

-----

Astral Pathways - Guidance to spiritual growth

- Damon Pike

concentrate on rejoining 

outofbdy.txt

Attachments

I've tried something along these lines a few times, but it never worked. I got the "falling" feeling a few times but never beyond that.

Has anyone here done this before? How often can you do it?

Just once for me after about 2 weeks of unsuccessful attempts. You must remain focused on your mental object without any other intrusive thoughts. If you succeed you will notice you have no sensory input at all. Try sitting up in your astral body and leave.

My successful attempt resulted in my exiting my body. I walked toward the bedroom door. I attempted to open the door, but to my surprise my hand passed right through the doorknob. Then I turned around and saw my body on the bed. I wasn't prepared for that. It was kind of shocking to view myself from that perspective. I was instantly back in my body. Gasping for air and sweating profusely. At the time I think I was too afraid to try this again. I did try again after several months had passed. But I have been unsuccessful to this day. I guess this is kind of like skydiving. It does make me wonder though if there are some that don't come back. Are you ready for that?

I read the first post in its entirety, and I found it pretty interesting. As for me, I meditate for 1 hour every night, since I am very motivated to come in contact with ETs. I've been meditating for more than a year now, and I've done a full hour meditation nonstop every single day (with a few exceptions) for about 5 1/2 months now. Having said that, I'm pretty sure there's not just only one way to have an out-of-body experience like contact with ETs, and it depends upon the individual.

Generally when I meditate, I'm in my room with the lights on, and my eyes are closed and I concentrate on slow, deep breathing in and out while not suppressing other thoughts and letting them run their course. I hear it's not a very good idea to suppress other thoughts from the mind, although I forget why that is. However, I think I'm on the right track with my meditation, as I've noticed it has generally relieved a lot of stress and/or made me super calm and happy. What do you guys think?

'Cosmo][USER=19000]@Einstein[/USER] how long ago was this? As far as not coming back said:
No! Of course I didn't know about that at the time. So I wasn't looking for that. This at my best guess happened to me around the early 90's. But the experience was very real to me at the time. My visual perception during the experience was extremely vivid, very crisp with lots of detail. I think the stark realization that I was existing without my body hit me like a sledge hammer. I now know without any doubt whatsoever that there is another reality to continue on into should I die.

Just know that all the descriptions are from those that do successfully come back. We'll never know for sure if some didn't make it back.

[QUOTE='Classicalfan626]not suppressing other thoughts and letting them run their course
[/QUOTE]This is maybe one of my problems. My thoughts race when I'm doing this and I actively try to "clear" my head, steering it towards thinking of blackness or something.

[QUOTE='Einstein]Just know that all the descriptions are from those that do successfully come back. We'll never know for sure if some didn't make it back.
[/QUOTE]I never thought of it like that, LOL. Now I'm not so sure I'd want to try it ?

'Cosmo]This is maybe one of my problems. My thoughts race when I'm doing this and I actively try to "clear" my head said:
Yes, a friend of mine suggested that letting your thoughts run their course yields better results than clearing the mind completely, or with the exception of a single thought.

Edit: @Einstein - I may be going out on a limb for saying this, but I'm pretty sure that everyone who's had an out-of-body experience has come back. I think we would have heard otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE='Classicalfan626]Yes, a friend of mine suggested that letting your thoughts run their course yields better results than clearing the mind completely, or with the exception of a single thought.
Edit: @Einstein - I may be going out on a limb for saying this, but I'm pretty sure that everyone who's had an out-of-body experience has come back. I think we would have heard otherwise.
[/QUOTE]There are many sources for how to achieve astral projection. But none will achieve with an active mind. No thoughts allowed. My take on this is that by focusing on a single object one tricks ones body and mind to to shut down into the sleep state of unconsciousness. Of course one is still conscious in the background.

I'll disagree with you on your assertion. Because to me when one is out of their body, it stands to reason that this would be a state of being after death. Everyone eventually dies. Those that do die have no way to tell us if some of those deaths were the result of an out of body experience. As far as I know anyway.

'Einstein]There are many sources for how to achieve astral projection. But none will achieve with an active mind. No thoughts allowed. My take on this is that by focusing on a single object one tricks ones body and mind to to shut down into the sleep state of unconsciousness. Of course one is still conscious in the background. I'll disagree with you on your assertion. Because to me when one is out of their body said:
I think having a mind with no thoughts is virtually impossible. But who knows? You may be right, and my friend and I could be mistaken. I doubt it, but you never know.

There are ways of determining a cause of death for those who have mysteriously died, such as autopsy and other methods. And surely, someone would have written on the subject if he suspected that someone who engaged in astral projection and/or meditation died from it. That's just from my experience though.

'Classicalfan626]I think having a mind with no thoughts is virtually impossible. But who knows? You may be right said:
Not no thoughts! Just a state of meditation where you are consciously holding on to one image in your mind. It is hard at first. But it is a skill that can be mastered. Your mind is being held still in this meditative state by an act of will. This is very similar to how we fall asleep. Too tired to think anymore. We close our eyes and bam, we are asleep. The only difference is we are actively holding onto consciousness without the constant banter of continuous thoughts.

As far as I know there is no way to tell if the death was self induced by a successful attempt at astral projection. I've often wondered if some people can commit suicide by actively leaving their bodies and not returning.

[QUOTE='Cosmo]Do you know of any exercises to help achieve this? Other than "just try it" I mean ?
[/QUOTE]I came up with one that I think can be beneficial. Get a stop watch and time yourself to see how long you can go before an errant thought interrupts your focus. Just pick out maybe a half hour of practice time during the day. It might only be 30 seconds at first. I tried it once to see what my time was. One minute and 30 seconds for me. Just keep trying to get the time longer and longer. How long do you shoot for? Just guessing, but I suspect 10 minutes is probably way more than it will take. Keep a log to watch your improvement over time. Of course I think my problem is a built in fear that I now have. But just be prepared so you can avoid fear. I never knew what non-corporeal really was until I was non-corporeal.

[QUOTE='Einstein]I came up with one that I think can be beneficial. Get a stop watch and time yourself to see how long you can go before an errant thought interrupts your focus. Just pick out maybe a half hour of practice time during the day. It might only be 30 seconds at first. I tried it once to see what my time was. One minute and 30 seconds for me. Just keep trying to get the time longer and longer. How long do you shoot for? Just guessing, but I suspect 10 minutes is probably way more than it will take. Keep a log to watch your improvement over time. Of course I think my problem is a built in fear that I now have. But just be prepared so you can avoid fear. I never knew what non-corporeal really was until I was non-corporeal.
[/QUOTE]I tried something like this earlier today. I set my timer for 1 minute, then sat on my bed and closed my eyes. I tried really hard to focus on one image/idea during that period, but there was at least one other idea that was disrupting my mind periodically. I have a very active mind, so I found focusing on one thing very hard to do the first time around. You guys aren't surprised about what happened during my first try at clearing my mind, right?

'Classicalfan626]I tried something like this earlier today. I set my timer for 1 minute said:
Perfectly normal. But I wouldn't be surprised if you could use your smart phone as a stop watch. Practice makes perfect. Making the mental effort to maintain focus will get better with practice. One more thing I've come across in descriptions of technique to use is, do your practice sessions during the day when you are not tired. Many folks try this at the end of the day which usually ends up with them falling asleep.

I just texted a friend of mine, the one I mentioned earlier who is like a meditation mentor to me. He says that focusing on a single object or thought without losing focus on it is humanly impossible, though he does also say I'm on the right track with trying to focus as much as I can. What do you guys think?