"The future ain't what it used to be."

Nostradamus Undoubtedly Predicted Adolf Hitler...

Dymenzionz

Timekeeper
Hi Rob/Lee,

What Nostradamus proved was, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it is indeed possible to predict events centuries before they happen. But this was not totally unique, may other prophets predidcted the future, and with equal precision. What made Nostra unique was the way he stuctured his writings and the deep understanding of arcane expression and literature and nature of occult technique. The quality and construction of his verses was indeed second to none, he was one of the greatest ever writers.

Okay, so what did he prophesize?

Well, he made clear referrals to Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Japan. In this he referred to the famous nuclear holocaust that happened.

He referred to may of the leaders in wars, Napolean, Hitler, etc. He claimed that there would be three anti-christs:

1. Napolean Bonaparte
2. Adolf Hitler

He even named the third… Mabus. If we reverse the name (reversal being one of Nostradamus’ common practises), we get Subam, it’s said this is supposed to be referring to Saddam Hussein (Subam = Saddam?).

HITLER:

His writings on Hiter were very interesting:

They prove to be good examples of the difficulty of prediction prior to an event. Nostradamus used the word “Hister”. Prior to the 1920s, this word was taken to be a reference to the river Hister, or more precisely, Ister, the Latin name for the lower part of the Danube.

The quatrain went like this (I admit I had to look this one up as I couldn’t remember this one off by heart in the French!)

Bestes farouches de faim fleuves tranner,
Plus part du camp encontre Hister sera,
En cage de fer le grand sera trainner,
Quand Rin enfant Germain observa.

Translated:

Beasts, wild with hunger, swim across rivers,
The greater part of the field will be against the Hister,
The great one will be dragged in an iron cage,
When the German child will see the Rhine.

In modern times, the quatrain has been subject to the most extraordinary translations, almost all of them based on a reading which takes Hister to denote Hitler. Roberts insists that the quatrain is a prediction of the fate of AdoIf Hider, on the grounds that the iron cage (cage de fir) is a reference to the bunker in Berlin, where he died. De Fontbrune, aware that Hister refers to the Danube, still reads into the quatrain the fall of Hitler in April 1945. However, the iron cage has become the van in which Mussolini is dragged to his execution.

The Italian translator Patrain resists the temptation to link the quatrain with either Hitler or Mussolini, but he offers no explanation for the verse. Our own translation is based on the assumption that the word tranner, at the end of the first line, is a version of the Latin infinitive, “tranare”, 'to swim through'. We recognize that the last line is ambiguous, for the subject of the final verb is not clear: it could mean, even, that the Rhine sees the Geman child.

Although the classically trained commentators on Nostradamus had no doubt that the word Hister referred to the Danube, once Adolf Hitler came to power, the word Hister took on a double meaning, and was immediately seized upon as a remarkable advance notice of the Fuhrer. Hitler himself was convinced that the word applied to him, even though he was aware of its original Latin meaning.

As Ellic Howe has pointed out, in 1967, both Hitler and Goebbels attempted to make capital out of this prophecy: it was probably this single word which spawned so many of the spurious 'Nostradamus' prophecies which were published by the Nazis and the Allies, during the Second World War?

The Nostradamus prophecies had been quaintly translated by C. Loog, a German postal official living in Berlin, in his own highly personal interpretation of the Propheties, published in 1921. Loog was under the impression that he had discovered a numerological key to the quatrains, and came to many far-reaching interpretations based on the application of this key. Pertinent to my own research is the fact that Loog came to the conclusion, that Britain would reach the end of its greatness, and slide into a decline after 1939. Somehow, this would be involved with its protection of Poland. Loog was wrong in his dating and in his identification of Poland: he wrongly translated certain important words used by Nostradamus, and fudged the dating system, remaining blithely unaware of the key to Nostradamus' calendrical system. Indeed, so far off the mark had been Loog's interpretations that, had it not been for a reference inserted in another book, his predictions might have been forgotten. However, a reference to the prediction, made by Dr H. H. Kritzinger in 1922, came to the notice of Frau Dr Goebbels. Soon, the summary was regarded as being of great importance by Hitler and the Ministry of Propaganda.

David Pitt Francis is probably right to read into this late incident in the history of the Propheties a degree of participation-fulfilment. It is very possible that the dating of the invasion of Poland by the Third Reich in 1939 was a consequence of the German hierarchies' belief in the accuracy of Loog's translation. As Francis observes, Loog's interpretation was 'a direct cause of one of the most devastating wars in the history of mankind'.

Pertinent to our own survey, however, is the undeniable fact that the different emphases which these two (the pre- and post-Hitlerian) translations of Hister lent to the verse inevitably gave rise to entirely different commentaries on the significance of the quatrain. That the word still makes more sense as a reference to the Roman river name has not deflected the majority of modern 'translators' from seeing it as a prefiguring of the Great Dictator. Almost certainly 'this is a consequence of the Loog blunder, which was carried into the sub-cultural Nostradamus literature by Cheetham.

Examples of the continuation of the error abound in modern literature. For example, in the somewhat superficial treatment of Arkel and Blake, we find the second line of the quatrain translated as meaning: 'Most of the battlefield will fall to Hitler', which is just about as far from the original Nostradamus as one can get.

Although most of Nostra’s predictions were dedicated to war and destruction, not once did Nostadamus refer to the end of the world... he never mentioned 1999 being the year of Armageddon.

Thanks
pja

As you know my friend, I always enjoy your disertations.

When you say Nos proved "...beyond a shadow of a doubt..." I'm afraid I have to ask "To whom?"

Certainly not to me my friend. I have WAY more than a mere shadow of a doubt, I am possessed with out and out disbelief.

I do not believe predicting any SPECIFIC future is any more possible than getting in a time machine and going to it.

It is possible to predict certain TRENDS in the patterns of everything from human society to the stock market. These are based on sound principles of probability. And they are STILL not always right.

I thought you gave a nice example of how the "Hitler" prediction was mis-interpreted due to the Latin translation error. Now you seem to say Nos predicted him anyway. I'm confused.

It's not a stretch of the imagination to assume ANYONE could predict the possibility of the rise of ANY oppressive dictator in the future, given the nature of politics and human gullibility. To say that ANYONE ever predicted a SPECIFIC one however is more due to personal interpretation of the writing than ANYTHING that can be proven. Just like the Bible, or the Koran, or the Talmud, The Book of Mormon, or the writings of H.G. Wells for that matter.

Arthur C. Clark predicted an orbiting commercial space station as a jump off point to the Moon and a manned Mission to Jupiter in the year 2001, remember. We aren't going to make it.

Thus far, EVERY SINGLE PREDICTION of the destruction of mankind or the end of the Earth that has ever been predicted to have occurred before now has been wrong. Why should I believe any such predictions regarding the future are any better?

Thanx.

Re:Re:Nostradamus Undoubtedly Predicted Adolf Hitler...

I agree.

Whenever 'superstitious' beliefs (akin to religious dogma in my opinion) hove into view, off go the alarm bells.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't discount faith, I'm human after all. I just try to combine it with a healthy dose of pragmatism. that's just my personal perspective on things...balance is best, no?

I have to say that I really wish Clarke had been right though, I'd book a ticket to the moon tommorrow...

Strangely enough, I wouldn't say no to a conversation with Hal either, although obviously not enroute to Jupiter (or Saturn, depending on the source)..

PS..Don't get me started on 'organised' religion though... :) )

Nostradamus couldn\'t predict a sunrise

I too could write down a bunch of predictions and 300 400 years from now you can read it and find something that has happened that you could relate to my predictions.

Re:Nostradamus couldn\'t predict a sunrise

Sorry Doug but I believe you are full of "shit". If you ever attempted to read Nostradamus properly you too would see everything fall into place. Until then, keep it shut. Thank you!

Another possibility is that someone wrote whatever prediction - after the event, best regards, The Guitt.-tr., David, why don't you write me, please? I still speculate on That Tachyon Field! I must admit that I'm not totally sceptical of the premonition idea, hypothesis, unless I can 'testify' to being against it, why on Earth would I do that?

I don't know if / how well anyone has read the actual writings of Nostradamus (translated, of course), but I did pick up one translated version of them some time back. And the problem is, that they are phrased in a way that proves nothing, but at the same time disproves nothing. IIRC, he mentions someone named "Hister", who will bring pain on his fellow human beings. But there is no frame of reference, and while Hitler does rank pretty damn high on the painbringer scale, theoretically, Nostradamus has all of human history to bring something that kind of matches any of the predictions. Back in the day, a line about "fire will rain from the skies and brring the two giants to their knees", seemingly (but as usual not definitely) related to the year 1999, was assumed to mean a war between the USA and the (now gone) USSR, with nuclear fire raining from the sky. But I could just as easily make that about the WTC and 9/11, stating that it might not have been 1 year before the big 2000, but instead 1 year after. Just like Hister is not Hitler, but close.

Any statements about Nostradamus that use terms such as 'undoubtedly' or 'clear references' are statements of personal belief, not of any factual analysis of Nostradamus. I'm not trying to be mean or mock statements, but anyone else who comes across this thread should take care to always, ALWAYS, take anything about Nostradamus with a grain of salt. Perhaps needless to say, but I said it anyway. :)

Back