"The future ain't what it used to be."

Portable Wood BBQs and Stoves

Num7

Staff member
Timekeeper
Overseer
Lately, I’ve been browsing the net for portable wood BBQs and stoves of all kinds. I love the idea of being able to cook super fast and at (mostly) no cost using twigs and little bits of wood. I particularly like models that have an integrated fan or that are engineered in such ways, that they’re super efficient.

I’m going to share my favorite wood BBQs and stoves here when I have a chance.

Here’s a pretty crazy one that has a huge fan. It reaches ridiculously high temperatures pretty fast. Check it out.

I’d love to try it out. It retails at about USD$150, which is pretty good in my opinion.

$150 isn’t too bad! The other ones you’d shown me were “glamping” kind of expensive, but this seems like something most people might use.

Do you do a lot of camping, and where do you normally go?

I never went camping in my life! LOL I own a WoodFlame BBQ, which I use in my backyard, just because I like it. It’s an awesome little device that I fuel with scraps of wood.

I can’t find much online about it, here’s a video:

We do have a regular propane BBQ that works great, but I love this little guy. My GF makes fun of me every time I use it for hot dogs and hamburgers. She says it’s a baby’s toy! lol

Here are photos of mine I took a couple of years ago:

1693858198919.png

1693858207862.png

It’s well made, and the way it’s made, it spreads the heat across the whole cooking area. It’s not perfect though. You gotta rotate your food so that nothing is burned or undercooked. In other words, the whole cooking area has hot and cold spots.

Despite this small downside, it’s awesome and super fun to use. And it gets very hot, very fast thanks to the fan. Love it!

Another portable stove that I really like watching videos of, is the Biolite Campstove 2+.

You can check it out here:

1693858243992.png

It’s a small fire pot, that has a yellow battery pack attached to it. The fire recharges the battery pack using a mini-thermoelectric generator. Then the battery pack powers a fan that boosts the fire, making it mostly smokeless and more efficient. It’s a pretty neat power loop. Take note that you gotta charge your pack first, as it won’t charge from zero using fire.

The battery pack also has a USB port you can use to charge your phone. You can also plug in a LED light. One is included with the kit.

You can fuel it with twigs and scraps of wood. Hard wood is best, obviously. You can also use wood pellets. If you fuel it with small bits of wood and small branches, you’ll probably have to add more every few minutes, as it can burn through it pretty fast, due to the fan boosting the fire.

Here’s a diagram that summarizes the energy loop:

1693858255852.png

As shown in the first image, Biolite offers a “complete cook kit” that includes a kettle, coffee piston and a cook grill that goes on top of the unit.

From what I could see online, the grill works pretty well and seems to get very hot, pretty fast. As for the WoodFlame, it has hot and cold spots, so you gotta rotate your food now and then to ensure nothing gets burned or undercooked.

When carrying it, the battery pack fits inside the fire pot, which then fits in the kettle. It’s pretty cool. The grill takes more room, though, but it’s pretty light.

All in all, it’s a pretty rad device that I’d love to own. I’m watching it closely, as I believe they might update it sometime in the coming year. That model has been around for about 5 years, as far as I know.

These little stoves look amazing. I got curious and found someone on YouTube who was demonstrating this one:

The idea that you just need little sticks and stuff to cook meals versus an entire fire pit is awesome. I wasn’t really understanding the efficiency part but seeing it in action I get it now. Space age camping toys!

Solo Stove makes the next ones. They’re smokeless fire pits and fire pots that provide you with a quick and efficient fire, thanks to a design that feeds the fire with more air than a regular, standard fire pit.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Lite Camp Stove:

1693858302875.png

1693858309792.png

They have many models you can choose from. Here’s a link to their camp stoves: https://www.solostove.com/en-us/c/camp-stoves

Their camp stoves are rougher around the edges than their fire pits you’ll see below. Among other things, they’re a little cheaper, and you’re able to fit a pot or kettle on it with ease. They’re camping-ready.

The 3 models are pretty small and super portable.

1693858327111.png

They also have good-looking fire pits that range from tiny, to pretty large. Here’s the link: https://www.solostove.com/en-us/c/fire-pits

These are made to look good in your backyard. While the smaller ones are portable (Like the tiny Mesa), the largest ones are pretty huge. I don’t think you’ll want to carry them around!

1693858342384.png

The little red one, for instance, will fit on an outdoor table. Pretty cool if you don’t have enough backyard to have an actual firepit. You can safely use it on your small outdoor table.

Solo Stove’s secret, is their design that allows optimal airflow. Here’s how they describe it: Lite’s unique engineering is the blueprint for our famous smokeless fire pits. The double-walled design and superior airflow make for a flame so hot, smoke is consumed by the heat.

Here’s a super quick demo of the Titan Camp Stove. It’s the medium-sized camp stove from above.

I’m probably going to buy one at some point, but I don’t know which one yet. Certainly one of the Camp Stove ones, but I couldn’t say which size yet.

When you buy one, will it be to go camping or just use around the backyard like your propane cooktop?

It’ll be to use in my backyard first.

Then, we might go camping with it. My GF would like to try camping and so do I. So perhaps, for camping too. 🙂

What were the fancy ones you were showing me a while back? The ones that were 300 or 500 bucks? Those ones looked crazy, I want to look them up on YouTube and see what people say about those.

Camping is amazing. Just being able to get away (if you have the kind of job that allows it). I remember the last time we went camping I had to keep checking my phone for emergencies, couldn’t completely detach but it was still a great trip.

I must have shown you the Biolite camp stove 2 a couple months ago. I think they’re the most high-tech expensive I’ve found. Yet.

Biolite makes another bigger firepit model. I’ll post a quick overview next time I have a chance. Here’s the link in the meantime.

Pretty cool stuff.

Yes! That was the one, not sure how I missed that. It still amazes me that these things have batteries and electronics so close to the flame. How do they not get too hot?

I’ve heard a few times of melted battery packs. So it can happen if it gets super hot. It’s definitely possible.

On Paranormalis, Blast Tyrant said these units are well know for melting down. I dont know how bad it is though.

What I don’t know, is if the unit will slow down its fan if the temperature gets too hot.

As previously stated, the next one I wanted to share is the Biolite Firepit. It’s a big firepit that has a battery pack and a fan. It’s not as small as the previous ones I’ve shared, but it’s still a little on the portable side.

Here’s the link and a couple of pictures:

1693858443003.png
1693858448983.png

As you can see, the yellow battery pack attaches to the side of the fire pit. It contains a fan, that shoots air below and around the fire, to make it burn hotter and make it mostly smokeless. You can control fan intensity with a button or a smartphone with Bluetooth. It can be quite noisy when using the fastest setting.

This battery pack doesn’t get recharged from the fire, so you gotta make sure you charge it before using it. That’s a downside, here.

The fire pit itself can burn either wood or charcoal, which is pretty cool. The whole thing is made of what they call X-ray mesh, which allows heat to radiate at 360 degrees around it. It’s made to radiate heat as much as possible.

Here’s a demo and review, just a couple of minutes:

Ok, this one is slightly different than the ones I’ve shared before. I’m sharing it because it’s cool and portable. But it won’t allow you to do camping cooking.

It’s a little camp fire you can enjoy, even if you don’t have a backyard. Just light it, and put it on your small outdoor table.

Here it is. It’s the Abeego Mini-Campfire.

1693858483452.png

1693858492499.png

Place on a secure, heat-proof surface. The tin gets HOT. To light; use matches or lighter. To extinguish: cover with the lid. Let it cool before moving. Do not use water to extinguish or use.

Includes beeswax, tree resin, organic jojoba oil, hemp, and organic cotton.

Yes! It’s pretty much the same, that’s right.

The only difference is that the Abeego doesn’t use gas (Diethylene), but a mix of wax and other natural fuels.

It’s a nice little fire for a marshmallow. 🙂

Here’s another tiny one, that’s pretty cool, but won’t allow you to cook a steak. But it’s great for marshmallows with a couple of friends. Great, too, if you have little outdoor space, it’ll allow you to have your own little fire, without risks or hassle.

It’s the City Bonfire:

1693858590824.png
1693858596357.png
1693858602888.png

Here’s what they say about it on their site:

City Bonfires is a portable fire pit, handmade with nontoxic materials in Maryland by 2 Dads whose jobs were impacted by the pandemic.

The portable, compact design makes it easy to take on all your outdoor adventures. Bring your own bonfire wherever you roam. No wood, no embers, no soot!

Features:
  • A great portable heat source with no smoke and ashes
  • Safe to roast marshmallows with FDA food grade soy wax
  • Super easy to light and extinguish
  • 3 to 5 hours of burn time
  • Size: 4 in x 2 in tin
  • Handmade with ❤️ in Maryland, USA
  • OUTDOOR Use ONLY

It’s not too hard to make your own DIY version of these too. Obviously without the ability to charge your phone and whatnot, but a small-scale way to heat a can of food in an emergency.

1. Gather your materials. You will need a few common items, including a metal canister with a lid, aluminum foil and tape, a few sticks or pieces of wood, and some kindling or charcoal.
  2. Cut an opening in the top of your canister just large enough to fit the sticks inside. Secure it shut using aluminum foil and tape.
  3. Place the sticks inside your canister and light them. This will act as the fuel for your stove.
  4. Once the sticks are lit, place kindling or charcoal on top of them to keep the flames going. If you need more heat, add additional sticks or pieces of wood.
  5. Place your pan or pot on top of the canister. This will begin to heat up, allowing you to prepare meals quickly and conveniently.
  6. Be sure to keep an eye on your fire at all times and never leave it unattended. When you are done cooking, be sure to extinguish the fire before you leave.
YouTube, for all the crap it has, really has some wonderful tutorials on this kind of thing too.

Hey, that’s right, it’s reasonably easy to build a tiny homemade stove that will probably work just as well as most of those we have shared up to now.

This 2 minutes video, here, shows how you can build one using cans you probably have at home:

While you can put twigs and stuff in it from the top for an easy start, you can also fuel it with longer, larger branches through the small can, which gives it way more power and versatility. Pretty neat.

I love that kind of stuff. I’d like to make one this summer, just to see how it goes, and how effective it is.

Another type of portable stove I want to share is the foldable camp stove. Here’s a quick video:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XKVLS32...&pd_rd_r=bdc75c69-927b-4c4d-a7ac-d9caa07665aa

1693858682250.png

1693858687069.png

There’s a ton of models of such tiny foldable stoves. Some of them, like the Lixada above, have a side opening, in which you can put longer branches, that you’ll push in further as they burn. It gives this tiny camp stove more power, and less required maintenance to keep the fire strong.

Once you’re done, you clean it up a little, fold it back and you’re good to go. Pretty sweet!

Back