Star Trek Discovery

PaulaJedi

Timekeeper
I am a few years behind, but I am slowly watching Star Trek Discovery and I am enjoying it immensely. Star Trek has always had really developed, complicated characters, and Discovery is no different. The only part I don't like is the political innuendos and the wokeness, only because I do not want to be reminded of politics when I watch fiction. (I do not want this to become a political discussion). Some items that were placed in the show serve no purpose, like the white klingon whose color was a "mistake". But, if I ignore these things, I can see they really did a good job. The effects are amazing. The story is interesting. The characters are awesome. Good job, Star Trek.

I've avoided it because all I hear is how political they made the first episodes or first season. Is it worth a try? I like my TOS and TNG, also enjoyed ENT.

I've avoided it because all I hear is how political they made the first episodes or first season. Is it worth a try? I like my TOS and TNG, also enjoyed ENT.
Yes, the first few episodes were ultra woke and political, but it eases up. It's so good that I am able to ignore it.

I guess it's safe to talk about this here.

Politics in Discovery - not saying it is right or wrong, just sharing:

- A woman named Michael. (She is an excellent character and very complex, but they HAD to giver her a male name).

- Gay officers

- Officers cuss. I do not find this very professional and doubt it would be tolerated in real life. (Millennial writers?)

- They made the klingons darker and one very black, and there is an white Klingon who they said was a "mistake"

- Multi-racial vulcans. Not that it matters, but for years they looked the same and now they are diverse.

Note: I really don't care about the colors, but doing it for the SAKE of politics turns the show into a political statement.

If I ignore these aspects, I really do enjoy the show. The characters are developed very well, except a prominent white officer

is only a cadet, talks to much, sounds dumb, and is a redhead. She and Michael are becoming friends, but it seems like they went way out of their way to make her inferior. Not sure how that fits in with the story.

Yes, it is still worth it. You will cringe a little in the beginning but you'll get lost in the story and will be able to ignore it.

Oh, one more thing - why does every Hollywood writer believe that people drink in the workplace? It's NOT reality. And if Starfleet existed in real life, a Captain would NOT have alcohol stashed in his office.

- A woman named Michael. (She is an excellent character and very complex, but they HAD to giver her a male name).

Yes, it is still worth it. You will cringe a little in the beginning but you'll get lost in the story and will be able to ignore it.
I will give it a shot then, thank you!

I know people are hard critics and analyze every aspect of Star Trek, but as I said, if I am entertained, I will watch.

I am still in season one and one episode made a comparison to Trump supporters without actually saying it -- they said we don't apologize and are xenophobic, racist, and fight for freedom. Freedom is bad? I don't like them bringing politics into the show, but fortunately, it is not every single episode. I had to take a deep breath and ignore it. If it ends up being every episode, I will stop watching.

I know people are hard critics and analyze every aspect of Star Trek, but as I said, if I am entertained, I will watch.
Nobody is more critical of Star Trek and Star Wars than Star Trek and Star Wars fans, LOL.

Nobody is more critical of Star Trek and Star Wars than Star Trek and Star Wars fans, LOL.
Yeah, I forget that "fan" means "fanatic" which almost means obsessive maniac (just kidding). I saw another episode with modern political innuendos, but if it gets worse, I'll stop watching. So far, it's only once in a while. I really wish Hollywood would stop ruining things, though.