The Stone Tape.

rembrandt

Timekeeper
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=3707
A collision between science and the supernatural.I think I'm conflating this one with a much more interesting television piece which involved a man who had figured out how stone circle land energy operated and in the climactic final scene, was standing in the center of a circle with tape strung between the stones. As his daughter implored him to give up his delusional pursuit, she stepped into the circle to reach him, against his warning,breaking a tape, whereon he disappeared from view forever. I don't remember the name of that piece unfortunately.

The Stone Tape was a TV drama by Nigel Kneale, broadcast in 1972 by the BBC. A team of scientists seeking a solid state recording medium take up residence in a haunted mansion. This leads the chief to the theory that memories and visions can be recorded in the fabric of a building. The twist is that the strange disembodied lights being seen are actually intelligent and capable of hounding people to their deaths. So Kneale gave rise to two theories, the stone tape theory of ghosts and the idea that strange lights could be caused geologically by certain rock formations. (Previously, his 1950s series, Quatermass and the Pit, also anticipated theories of alien breeding of early hominids that are popular today.) These shows are available on DVD.