This is more of a time stop

Itheblaze

Chrono Cadet
Greetings from Saint Augustine, Fl. When my friend Katie P. was sitting in her 5th grade class. Time froze. It was like you pushed the pause button on a movie. She looked around shocked. The teacher holding chalk in mid air, the wall clock not moving, all the kids frozen in what ever they were doing. It lasted about a minute then everything un-froze. How and why did this happen? Was a demon/spirit a foot? Was she somehow the cause? I lost contact with her after high school and it only had happen the one time that I knew her. I sometime ponder it though. How could this be?

Just you and Katie P, Itheblaze? Perhaps it was a moment of love between you....why do you jump to the conclusion of a demon or spirit?

She kinda felt for a few years at the time something was following her around. She wondered if it might be an evil spirit.

Welcome, Itheblaze. Ignore vodkafan. Only a pervert would make a sexual innuendo
about a classroom of fifth graders.

Re: "time stop" -

Instinctively, I take notice of setting at such times. That Katie sensed evil suggests her
reaction was one of fear. A side-effect of fear is time dilation wherein things don't
actually slow down. Thence, while people might deduce the rate of fearful persons'
perception must speed up, the conclusion of one experiment:

[...F]ear does not actually speed up our rate of perception or mental processing. Instead,
it allows us to remember what we do experience in greater detail. Since our perception of
time is based on the number of things we remember, fearful experiences thus seem to unfold
more slowly.

Welcome, Itheblaze. Ignore vodkafan. Only a pervert would make a sexual innuendo

Re: "time stop" -

Instinctively, I take notice of setting at such times. That Katie sensed evil suggests her
reaction was one of fear. A side-effect of fear is time dilation wherein things don't
actually slow down. Thence, while people might deduce the rate of fearful persons'
perception must speed up, the conclusion of one experiment:

[...F]ear does not actually speed up our rate of perception or mental processing. Instead,
it allows us to remember what we do experience in greater detail. Since our perception of
time is based on the number of things we remember, fearful experiences thus seem to unfold
more slowly.

I have experienced this time dilation state, twice in my lifetime. Both times in my early twenties. I was fear motivated. Quite possibly my brain interpreted both situations as imminent death situations. I always thought it was a built in self preservation feature of the brain. In both situations, because everything was slowed down to a crawl speed, I did use the extra mental time to think my way out of these situations. Obviously with success.

The first time it happened, I was driving on the freeway. It was raining cats and dogs outside, and I was traveling at 70 mph. The car lost traction with the road, and began to go into a spin. My entire life flashed before my eyes. But the slowed down time allowed me to think and remember what my driving instructor had taught me about how to get out of a situation like this. His words were, "Turn into the spin until you regain control of the vehicle." Instinctively I didn't want to do that, but I did it anyway. It worked. Shaking like a leaf, I pulled off the freeway onto the shoulder. All the other drivers saw what was happening and slowed to a stop to let me off the roadway.

The second time I was stopped for a red light at a crosswalk waiting for two children to cross the road. A car behind me was approaching too fast to stop. I could see a crash was imminent. Time slowed down again. I had the time to think of a way, to get out of harms way. I tried to move my foot off the brake over to the gas pedal. I remember my leg would hardly respond. It was like my leg only wanted to move in slow motion too. But I succeeded and got my foot onto the gas pedal. Pedal to the metal. The rear tires were squealing, and the car seemed to just sit there. Then the impact occurred. Luckily the two children seen what was happening and didn't cross the road.

I could see time stopping/slowing down in intense situation. As with people about to die suddenly and time stands still and your life flashes before your eyes. Katie was just sitting there, looking at the teacher, bored when this happen. You see, Katie was always an odd duck. Logical, if Dragnet had a daughter, she was a just the facts kinda person. Even though pretty, she was in no way a silly, romantic, prissy sort of girl. I, the crazy tom boy philosopher, with crazy red hair and buck teeth, was all she had to talk to. I really believed her, and we 2 young girls could talk for hours on adult subjects. This was a crossword puzzle to her so she had to talk it out with someone. So we talked it out. She felt like some outside force was responsible. See when she was 7 an evil spirit or an evil man that had died and now his ghost haunted her for whatever reason. She even had a polaroid shot of him peaking out the window. Out of his bag of tricks he stopped time to get her attention. So we guessed. What else could he do.

I really resent that. How dare you. There was no sexual innuendo intended at all. People have lovestruck moments at all ages- nothing to do with sex. Besides that the word "fifth grader" means nothing to me I don't know what age that is. When I was at school in the "Fifth form" I was 16 years old. Lower Sixth form is 17 and Upper Sixth is 18.
You owe me an apology. I am not a pervert.

Whoaaa! Ok Mr. Vodkafan, we're going to have to cut you off the Irish coffee now.
No kidding. It would seem you weren’t even with your friend in her fifth grade class.
Yet, despite your having described her classroom as though it were full of elementary
children with "the teacher holding chalk in mid air," Vodkafan hallucinated you and
your friend alone. Next he fantasized that at the very instant when time seemed to stop,
there "was a moment of love between you."
Greetings from Saint Augustine, Fl. When my friend Katie P. was sitting in her 5th grade class. Time froze. It was like you pushed the pause button on a movie. She looked around shocked. The teacher holding chalk in mid air, the wall clock not moving, all the kids frozen in what ever they were doing. It lasted about a minute then everything un-froze. How and why did this happen? Was a demon/spirit a foot? Was she somehow the cause? I lost contact with her after high school and it only had happen the one time that I knew her. I sometime ponder it though. How could this be?
Vodkafan:
Just you and Katie P, Itheblaze? Perhaps it was a moment of love between you....why do you jump to the conclusion of a demon or spirit?

What is more than already stated above:
Interjected by Vodkafan into the platonic friendship between children
was homosexuality. For his doing so to go unchallenged would leave
sexual connotations where none should ever have been introduced in the
first place. That, in turn, would sully my so welcoming another woman’s
company here beyond, of course, that of a feminine AI--GLaDOS.
[...] I was traveling at 70 mph. The car lost traction with the road, and began to go into a spin. My entire life flashed before my eyes. But the slowed down time allowed me to think and remember what my driving instructor had taught me about how to get out of a situation like this. His words were, "Turn into the spin until you regain control of the vehicle." Instinctively I didn't want to do that, but I did it anyway. It worked. Shaking like a leaf, I pulled off the freeway onto the shoulder. All the other drivers saw what was happening and slowed to a stop to let me off the roadway.

I'm glad you started this thread, Itheblaze. It is fun to discuss. So far, I have
heard such experiences similarly related to auto accidents and, even, bare-back
(bronc) riding.

Syzygy;

I don't know what may have been edited out of the original post by vodkafan but, I too feel, you may owe him an apology. You have gone from calling him a "pervert" to a "sot", both uncalled for. I leave it to RainmanTime to decide any administrative actions toward vodkafan, if he was out of line with any comments, as well as your insults directed toward him. Name calling is neither adult behavior nor necessary in this discussion. The discussion itself may well be in the wrong forum as a demonic possession should be discussed in the Paranormal sections.

As to this discussion, your link to a discussion of one of Eagleman's experiments is a good source of information. His site is an even better source.
David Eagleman

I have read some of the work he has done in neuroscience. I linked to some of his work in another post on alter-vues.
A Discovered Time Traveler | Page 4 | Time Travel Institute

Although, I am sure looking at these "occurrences" as something, they simply are not, is far more fun than seeing them, for what they actually are, I will leave my opinions at that...for now.;)

Based upon what you admittedly don't know,
I make no apology for discouraging sexual harassment.
It is no mystery why so few women are active members here.
Even so, even with as much as the current quote
distorts the story told, I withdrew the word "sot."