time and friction

ruthless

Timekeeper
ok, i was up late last night, and i was really REALLY bored. so i had a thought and was wondering what your opinions were.

is time affected by friction? and is light affected by friction? and if so, can light and time be slowed by friction?

look up luminiferous ether, this was the theory before Einstein's relativity. i believe this old theory is how time, (space-time) works.

Ruthless, Yes.

Although I think it would more properly be termed "drag", not "friction". And I'm sure you've heard of "frame dragging" referred to in time/space.

light can bend when it passes through a medium (sun through a prism will divide spectrum and sun through water will bend the trajectory). Time, on the otherhand is not typically thought of as a particle or a medium. According to AE, time is dragged (aka altered by friction) from gravitational forces. And one source of gravity is mass.

So back to time being dragged, yes it is dragged. It is being dragged right now all around you. It always has been (although at different rates). Our perception of time in measureable units is different from our perception if we were in deep space with less gravitational fields surrounding us. This perception of time would change in different locations of the universe, as well. AND this perception of time changes over time (acceleration of time). This acceleration of time is directly related to the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. The odd thing is that the only reason we are able to detect the acceleration of the universe is because the acceleration of time is dragging behind the acceleration of the expansion. This may suggest to some that gravitational forces have an associated speed with them, and that speed may be faster than light, yet less than infinite.

I know that sounds wacky, but read it a few times and may start to make sense.

another idea, is there any way that time, or light can be grabbed?

if so, wouldnt it be pretty simple to time travel if we simply grabbed time and applied friction to all sides?

probably a pretty stupid idea, but im just wondering.

I think you have to produce a singularity that creates enough gravity to "grab" the time you want.

Now how do we make enough gravity to bend time without bending (squashing) ourselves in the process?
Or is there another way to grab time?

i am working on an theory that light and mass controls time,by this i mean, i think time is a form of energy that can be manipulated(e=mc^2), but the shear power is ugly though.

Satown,

I agree that time is a form of energy and manipulated by light. However light and mass do not "control" time. Rather, I believe it is as if light and mass interact with time. Much like a magnetic field interacts with an electric field. The magnetic lines of force do not control the electric current, but it can alter its magnitude and direction. Hope this helps. And keep me posted on your theory.

I liked that question

Now we have light, bright ligh, ultra bright light...can the same concept be applied to time? slow time, ultra fast time, pause.....?!?

think of a Laser cutter......

The Laser Light can be reflected or scattered off the object.
The Laser Light can be absorbed by the object.
The Laser Light can be refracted through the object.

An object that has mass

Can time be absorbed...reflected?

/ttiforum/images/graemlins/confused.gif

here is my formula in how to move time or space-time as a vector.

Velocity of time = c [ - (ma/ma - f)^2 + 1 ] ^1/2

forward momentum is positive contracted space-time

reverse momentum is negative expanded space-time

what is another name for time? a headscratcher eh?

i think that if you were to stop light and walk into it, nothing happens and time doesent change.

i think time may kinda be an "administrator" type of deal where only the admin can change the time. in other words, i think you have to go deep enough into the "code" to even understand what time even is. ahh screw it, this prolly makes no sense.

what is another name for time? a headscratcher eh?

i think that if you were to stop light and walk into it, nothing happens and time doesent change.

Ruthless,

You're pretty adept at making some good guesses about how the world works.

I don't know if there's another name for time. But the word is just a label that we attach to something that we can indirectly perceive.

Time, like space, seems to have no substance. There's no experimental evidence that says that either actually exist as something that can be physically perceived. But Minkowski and Einstein did rename them by combining the two into space-time by saying that they are inseperable - they can't be thought of as being two seperate entities.

In the end we use space-time as a metric to gauge the the duration involved with "things" changing position. Because the speed of light is a fixed maximum for any change in position we can apply a consistent metric to define the duration of "time" involved in a change of position in "space".

If everything in the universe was cooled down to absolute zero (impossible but we're speaking theoretically) then there is no possible way for any changes to occur. No change, no duration. No duration then no time.

Remember "cooling" and "heating" - change in temperature - is nothing more than an expression of the rate of change in momentum. Mass and velocity - a change in position over time.

The same applies more generally to "energy". Energy isn't something that you can hold in your hand, taste, smell or directly perceive. It isn't a"thing". It's just an experssion of a preportion of mass to velocity...a form of momentum.

bogz,

Does that mean there is a theoretical max temperature?

Yes there is a maximum.

If you apply the classical calculation for kinetic energy then there is a maximum:

KE = 1/2 mv^2. If v = c then you have your maximum. It's limited by the speed of light as the velocity.

If on the other hand you apply the relativistic formula then:

KE = (1/2 mv^2)/sqrt (1 - v^2/c^2). In that case as, in the limit as v --> c, KE --> to infinity.

In a real universe there's still a maximum because there's a finite amount of energy available to increase the momenta of the particles. At some point the temperature of the thing being heated and the surrounding enviornment become equal - they are at thermal equalibrium. A general increase in temperature is no longer possible.