What IS Time?

KerrTexas

Super Moderator
So many discussions about time.

Whether or not it's possible to time travel.

Interesting all, however, has it ever been figured out what is time?

Is light particle or a wave? It can be one, or both. OK. There are still boundaries of what light is.

Not so with time. If you disagree, or have your own opinions, then lets discuss.

Is time a particle? Is time a wave? Is time a force? Is time anything at all?

IF I time travel to the 1800's and have a chat with Billy the Kid, to share a beer and then return to here. Billy the Kid, well, he is still there. Depending on perspective, we both still exist, at the same time.

So is time................. perspective?

If time is merely perspective, then how do we move from one perspective to another?

Also, how many perspectives are there?

One for every molecule?

Or does something have to be conscious to have a perspective?

maybe perspective isn't the right word?

A place in space?

I don't know.

What do you think?

We would need a thousand observers each one giving their own input on all the different aspects of time.

So my input is, what happens if we remove time? All motion would cease. The universe would become frozen in place. No location could exist without time. Since the universe now becomes one object. One could say that time is a necessary component of location.

Excellent questions to ponder. I think there are several components to time. It is a way to measure and determine scientific and classical world principles. I believe it is a light particle and wave simultaneously. The digital and analog light holding information of the electromagnetic fingerprint. The wave undulating the transformation of the decay from time converting energy into propulsion and frequency. We use time in music and art, which to me is one fun unsolved adventure to unravel into the multiverse. Time tells us our circadian rhythm too. Time is different for females and males, even depicted I believe on a Mayan calendar with a 9 month cycle. It is used in ancient philosophies of western and eastern astrology as significant aspects in relation to exact location. Now, with quantum computers, time can hold knowledge to infinite possibilities as qubits. It is superposition and entangled. So why does time slow down in some instances of such as a car crash or when in love? I often wonder...

Indeed time is difficult to define. I have heard time defined as being a sequence of events. It is also defined as "time is change".

Every-thing has its own measure of time. Slowing the rate of time(time dilation) also depends on velocity as one approaches a significant fraction of the speed of light, and/or how deep one is in a gravitational field. Time proceeds at a slower rate near a massive object like a star or a black hole as compared to far away from it.

If we live in a multiverse that is continually branching, then the direction of time is the rate and direction of the increasing branches of possibility. The future would have more branches than the past.

If time is related to perspective then it is the process of the perpetual shifting of perspective. This mental aspect of time has me curious.

We would need a thousand observers each one giving their own input on all the different aspects of time.
So my input is, what happens if we remove time? All motion would cease. The universe would become frozen in place. No location could exist without time. Since the universe now becomes one object. One could say that time is a necessary component of location.
So, is time a "force" that causes the universe to expand or is it simply the RESULT of expansion?

The writings of John Titor refer to the multiverse as the superverse. It seems to me that superverse is a much better designation for the totality of existence than "multiverse".

Time might not be traveled in a straight line since it may not be linear.

So it could be that what we perceive as time is the continual shifting, or jumps, from parallel reality to parallel reality – to the left, back to the center, and to the right then back to central sequence – perpetually repeating the jumping time-shifts. These jumps would be almost horizontal thus they would be low energy leaps.

We only remember the past and can intuit the future, while sometimes experiencing deja vu moments.

We think that time is traveled in only one direction, but it could be that we occasionally go in the reverse direction. The jumping across different realities would continue in a see-saw pattern to and fro. There is a mental aspect to time so perhaps this superverse is some kind of giant quantum computation.

A person would grow younger and lose their memory of the future if they were to jump into the past. But when they relive similar moments of their previous "future" after regaining forward temporal momentum, then that may be a deja vu moment.

It takes very little energy to travel in time as we are now. It would take an infinite amount of energy to travel 180 degrees along a reverse axis into the past. So I reckon that the best route would be to diverge at an angle along the parallel realities. The steeper the angle the greater the energy requirement.

Diverge at an angle for a series of jumps, then converge back at the reflected angle to arrive at a low divergence timeline that is close to the original but still in the past.

It is also defined as "time is change".

Indeed time is difficult to define. I have heard time defined as being a sequence of events. It is also defined as "time is change".
I concur that it's difficult to define.

When I think "Time" what I think about most is Entropy. When traveling forward from frame to frame your personal entropy moves with everything else in your relative vicinity at near the same rates. When this happens we collectively experience changes in time; measured by seconds, minutes, hours, etc. I think of time/entropy as a superfluid. It's not a straight arrow, it's more like a current in an ocean.

-Oz

"The steeper the angle" implies that it can change and math is involved. Therefore, one can have no angle at all and shift back and forth on a straight line.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The steeper the angle" implies that it can change and math is involved. Therefore, one can have no angle and all and shift back and forth on a straight line.
The faster one moves through space then the steeper the angle of the jumps into the future. If your twin hops into a space ship and travels at a significant fraction of the speed of light through space then when they return, they will be biologically younger due to time dilation.

View attachment 145

382466002_parallelworldsTIMEJUMPS.png.5baecff6b58442689356820128c927ea.webp

We are currently jumping across parallel universes with minimal divergence as the process of time ...hypothetically speaking...

I am wondering what transfers across universes... I suspect consciousness can focus its perspective and "shift" from one universe to another as the matter and energy remains in its original universe due to its unique quantum signature – and that signature – maintains barriers between worlds...

But a time machine is a different story... Inside the time machine, all matter such as physical bodies and machinery are transferred from one universe to another, not just consciousness. Therefore in this scenario you will meet another you in an alternate reality.

So perhaps all the consciousness is distributed among all possible selves in the multiple realities. If an alternate self dies in another universe then there is MORE consciousness to share among the remaining "living" copies.

Reminds me of the movie "The ONE" starring Jet Li...

TheOnefilm.jpg

But a time machine is a different story... Inside the time machine, all matter such as physical bodies and machinery are transferred from one universe to another, not just consciousness. Therefore in this scenario you will meet another you in an alternate reality.
0 degrees is still an angle, so in your diagram, you should be able to go left or right in the exact same time but just jump to a parallel universe. I always assume a time travel device would have to use some sort of math, so if it is mathematically possible, the technology should be able to be programmed as such.

Now, I think I do understand a little. We are constantly moving forward in time, thus making a natural zig zag, but again, couldn't we program the device to make up for that, as well as the fact that earth is moving?

So if there could be 1000 observers at one time, do y’all think that AI could achieve those kind of results? Even though there are milliseconds between exchanging information, they are almost simultaneous. If AI has the capability to be in more than one place observing, do you think there is a separate AI timeline absent from human presence? Can we tap into that information, what would we find out? Do AI use planetary information to calculate time in addition to our global scientific approach? Is this like a giant quantum computation as said before?

0 degrees is still an angle, so in your diagram, you should be able to go left or right in the exact same time but just jump to a parallel universe. I always assume a time travel device would have to use some sort of math, so if it is mathematically possible, the technology should be able to be programmed as such.
Now, I think I do understand a little. We are constantly moving forward in time, thus making a natural zig zag, but again, couldn't we program the device to make up for that, as well as the fact that earth is moving?
Lets think about this a little further. Using Travis' example, the entire zigzag pattern can be thought of as a function. It can be treated as a function because those small movements between parallel universes are always going to happen with the normal "flow of time" when traveling at a relatively constant speed. Instead of trying to determine exactly what the formula is for that natural movement, we'll just call it f(x).

The distance between the peaks and troughs in f(x) under normal parameters can be thought of as the "minimum divergence zone" (or as I prefer it) the "minimum uncertainty zone". Think of this similar to the confetti box experiment.

To move "forward" in time we need to do a translation upwards. For easy understanding & to avoid Planck seconds or any other crazy math, we'll just say that we want to move forward 1 unit of time 1T. This would be represented as f(x) + 1T. This slides the entire zigzag graph upwards one unit along the "zero divergence zone" which is the vertical axis. The graph moves up, as does the minimum divergence zone within f(x). In this way, one could think of the natural flow of time as a harmonic infinite series.

Now lets imagine "what would it take to move the function down the vertical axis?"

A movement down the vertical axis is the same as going backwards in time in the zero divergence zone. What exactly would that take?

Well, you'd need negative time. This could be represented as f(x) + (-1T)

But how do you get negative time?
Well, that's a much more complicated question lol

-Oz

Could negative time be created using frame dragging?
I wasn't expecting such good questions ^_^

There ARE ways to have a net negative time, through a series of frame dragging translations. It could never be one single motion--but through a series of motions they can have the net effect of negative time.

It's terribly terribly improbable though lol

-Oz

Hi Oz! Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have been wondering about the subject for a while. I see what you mean about accumulating net negative time and how to possibly create that. I am currently exploring a project that utilizes angular momentum as a way for harnessing energy and think there might be a frame dragging component undiscovered within it. However, I am not a rocket surgeon...lol

Travel safe out there!