Cosmo's 3D Printer Project Feed

New print! Final pieces of the static suspension/frame. After this we'll try to get it partially assembled to see how things fit, then experiment with some painting.

1649625629603.webp

I saw something printing a couple of days ago and thought "that can't be part of the DeLorean!"
LOL! It was probably the other set of wheel wells. Those take a MASSIVE amount of supports and so are basically surrounded by junk that needs to be pried off. Doesn't look like anything other than a skyscraper when it's printing.

I could lie them down so they don't use so much material, but the taller orientation hides the layer lines and you get a smoother overall finish. I'll have to get a good camera set up for painting this.

LOL! It was probably the other set of wheel wells. Those take a MASSIVE amount of supports and so are basically surrounded by junk that needs to be pried off. Doesn't look like anything other than a skyscraper when it's printing.

I could lie them down so they don't use so much material, but the taller orientation hides the layer lines and you get a smoother overall finish. I'll have to get a good camera set up for painting this.
Just watched you take them off the printer in a recent twitch video. Scared the heck out of me when you started ripping them apart by hand, but you seem to know what you're doing ?

New print! Final pieces of the static suspension/frame. After this we'll try to get it partially assembled to see how things fit, then experiment with some painting.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="1649625629603.png]1698[/ATTACH]
This finally finished printing last night! Here's a couple photos showing the mudguard pieces with and without all the support material.

IMG_1883.webp

IMG_1881.webp

IMG_1882.webp

They came out BEAUTIFULLY and these will be very easy to post-process and get painted. Very excited... Good things take time. We are considering a second printer.

Here's the support material from the one mudguard:

IMG_1885.webp

On the floor, of course.

Next up is a little ditty I like to call under_hood.stl:

1649792776181.webp

The supports on this one are pretty minimal:

1649792993718.webp

If you look at the curved edge where the bottom of the windshield meets the curve of the frame, you'll see there's going to be some visible layer lines.

1649793146740.webp

These would have been pretty visible if we printed the mudguards lying down; more fidelity vertically than horizontally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part IV will be delayed a few more days - I had to order a pair of flush cutters so I could snip the 2.75mm filament to where it's supposed to be. Gotta do that before I can figure out which assemblies get painted as one piece and which ones do not.

In the meantime, I figured I'd go for glory and print what I think is the biggest piece in this project:

1649901911074.webp

This bad boy will take 4 days... I am exceeding the boundaries of the print plate on this one, but the first layer is going down okay so far. If it makes it through the next 12 hours, it should be ok.

The CIA was in my network last night and things were bogging down. I had to take the stream down for the night so it wouldn't keep bouncing on and offline.

We're back now, and there's about 97 hours left to go on the print.

200.gif

What part is this right now? Last time I looked an hour ago, I couldn't tell.
Still this one:

View attachment 1871

The zig-zaggy bits are supports that'll hold up things above it, so all this:

1650082969608.webp

Is going to be holding up the windshield top:

1650083001370.webp

Hard to see it early unless you have 3D Extrusion Hypnosis Syndrome and find yourself staring at it for an unreasonable amount of time, even when you were on your way to do something else.

EPIC FAIL. And an even more epic waste of a spool of PLA. 11 hours to go and the power decides to flicker. Power loss recovery only works when using the SD card like some kind of caveman... Murphy 1, Cosmo 0.

Let's do it again!

Okay, now that I've had time to absorb what happened today and the wailing with gnashing of teeth has subsided, here's what's up:

1. The power went stupid with 11 hours left to print... It was THIS close to being done and was going to look great :(
  2. There was no recovery option because OctoPrint doesn't support that

3. Prusa can do this if using the SD card as the print source, but we weren't doing that

[*]Most of a spool of plastic in the bin

[*]After the failed print, I decided to change the nozzle because it was over 1000 hours in and I was starting to see some boogering/clogging

[*]Like a good 3D printer owner, I reviewed tutorials and documentation on how to do this

[*]My hotend has seen some use, so it was only when I got the old nozzle off that I realized the extra nozzles I have are too tall and don't have the right diameter (.4mm)

[*]Attempting to reattach the old nozzle revealed that the heating block has something loose in it somewhere further up the assembly.

I have to put the printer away until I can sit down and disassemble the hotend to figure out what's what. It's a mechanical issue I should be able to fix, it's just in a dirty old hotend that I don't have bandwidth to bank on messing with it forever only to find something unfixable (or anything else that would further delay the stuff I want to do with you all). I beat the shit out of this Prusa i3 Mk3 over the years, and she'll be resurrected eventually, just not today.

That's not the end of the project. We were budgeting for a new printer later in the year, but I guess we'll pull the trigger now so we can ascend to the DMC heavens and attain the Mark of McFly.

And thus, the Prusa i3 Mk3s kit was purchased:

https://www.prusa3d.com/product/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-kit-3/

It'll be a few weeks before this arrives, but I'll livestream its assembly on our main channel when it does. I'll also see what I can do with this other mess in the meantime.

If you would like to contribute to help us continue doing things like this, it would be much appreciated!

1. Become a Time Wizard!
  2. Make a donation via PayPal

Your support is much appreciated, but please only do so if it's in your budget and you're comfortable :)

200.gif

Wow, you bought a new one! Can't wait to see it up and running! :) I watched the video, it looks impressive.

Is it hard to assemble?

Wow, you bought a new one!
LOL not willingly. I ain't giving up though. I'm stuck in here until I die.

Is it hard to assemble?
Honestly, it's not too bad. It's no simple, but it's definitely enjoyable for people who like doing this kind of thing. I build the Mk3 years ago, but as a first-timer it probably took a 3 days doing it for a while in the evenings. This one is the upgraded model from the Mk3 (the Mk3S) with a better probe and improvements to little things. Too bad the DeLorean has to take a rest though.

Setting up a livestream of our turtle in the meantime ;) You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: