I Am a Farmer from 1826

Ted B

Temporal Novice
Greetings time travelers,

I am in need of your assistance. I am a farmer from Kentucky of the the year 1826. I have found myself to be in the year 2012. This event, through providence or misfortune, has left me bewildered and miserably in want of my home back in my proper time.

I have no sort of time traveling machine but was brought here through a supernatural experience.

Near where I live, there is a very small cave. Upon entering the cave, I had unwittingly been thrown into some strange vortex. My next memory was exiting the cave to find a much different terrain with buildings made of bright, shiny materials and a larger crowd than I have seen before. Since that time, I have been staying in a homeless shelter as I have no current residence.

As I write this message, I am seated in a library in front of this computer. The library assistant is very helpful.

Pardon my candor, but this experience has been frightful for me and I pray that a time traveler can help me get home soon.

What U.S. State are you in now? Are you in the same place just different time? My family has lived in Kentucky in the recent past and I may know information to help you on your journey. Be careful, this is a dangerous world but like you said there are helpful people too.

You speak of that time and I want to help you as much as I can. ANy information you think you can give that might be helpful would be wonderful.

Thanks for being on this forum and I can't do too much until October.

Good luck and by returning here you may be happier eventually. I'm sorry you ended up leaving your home.

Take care and come back oft.

Dear friends,

Forgive me for my absence. I have been away from this library to take care of pressing needs.

Servantx, I have a wife, two daughters, and one son. They are not old enough to have children. I dare not research my own fate or that of my wife's. Thank you for your concern and may God bless you.

Sharps, I am currently in Kentucky. Evidently, this is the same place from when I left. I will take heed your admonishment and keep both eyes open in this new world. I believe I have no further information to share for your helping me to return home. Thank you for your proffered assistance.

Darby, news does not travel fast in my time and region. I was fortunate to know who was elected president in 1825.

Dear friends,

Forgive me for my absence. I have been away from this library to take care of pressing needs.

Servantx, I have a wife, two daughters, and one son. They are not old enough to have children. I dare not research my own fate or that of my wife's. Thank you for your concern and may God bless you.

Sharps, I am currently in Kentucky. Evidently, this is the same place from when I left. I will take heed your admonishment and keep both eyes open in this new world. I believe I have no further information to share for your helping me to return home. Thank you for your proffered assistance.

Darby, news does not travel fast in my time and region. I was fortunate to know who was elected president in 1825.

Hi Ted,

It's okay that you don't want to find out the fate of your family. Hope you can find comfort in this era.

Would you mind telling us your full name and date of birth please? Did you find any shelter at the moment? Is your old farm still exists? If yes, where is it?

From what I heard is that the time machine is not yet invented until few decades later, and there was rumors about only top secret government and military have been using that technology. To the general public, people are still very sceptic about time travel as in year 2012.

Regretfully, I cannot share my full name and date of birth as I have been cautioned by a new friend about the dangers of identity theft. I assume you were asking to aid me in some way and thank you for that.

I am staying with my new friend, Adam, whom I befriended while at the library. He has taken pity on me and let me one of his rooms at his house with, surprisingly, no protestations from his wife.

Sadly, my farm has disappeared. Although, I vaguely remember a small treasure my wife had buried for safekeeping near our farm. I can only pray that it has remained in that place until now. I should need a means of recompensing my friend for his letting me stay in his home.

Supposing your are correct in your prediction of time travel machines not yet being built, I may have but one option before me. I may simply have to re-enter that dreadful cave from which I entered this new world.

You have to understand, Ted, that there might not be people who believe you and may have already used your name. I would check and make sure. But yeah anyone can be a victim to ID thefy these days and you would have to create a new name anyways since you can't be Maybe almost 200 years old or a time traveller. No one would believe you. Have your friend help create a new name for you. Talk with the government? I don't knwo who will believe you. But the government might protect you. Talk with Adam though and he may know more than me. I believe you though. I've heard of something similar a long time agao but I don't remember much sometimes. My family came from St. Paul, Oregon. They are the Cosgroves Hugh and Mary Cosgrove. If you ever go back in time you should visit them before their house burns down. He would have been 22 at the time that you left. We take in strangers sometimes for a little bit, but I can't for more than a week these days and only once and I have to know you for a bit too.

Anyways, good luck and I hope you can survive this world. It is definitely different, man.

Skarpz, I should make it more clear that I have no intention of staying in this time. Although, I appreciate your thoughts on my predicament with my identity. But this problem should be short-lived.

I will note the names of your relatives and relay them to my wife who works part of her time at the local post office and may locate them. Perhaps she can send them our regards.

Yeah and feel free to visit St. Paul, Oregon when you get back there. St. Paul is still a small town today. It's an honor to speak with you. I heard your story once before but I forgot. It was along time ago in my youth and I barely remember. Oh and In the 1840s I believe we have millions of dollars in gold from the gold rush. Millions of dollars in that time. Do your research. I'm sure that they are lovely people. Research Aaron Meier and the Meier and Frank Department stores. They were taken over by MAcy's a few years back but were around in Oregon since the 1800s. I'm sad that Macy's took over. Aaron Meier stayed over for a bit at the Cosgroves in St. Paul before creating the business. Just felt like telling family history. Thanks and hope you get back to your time soon. Good luck, man. Hope everything turns out alright.

Hello friend;

Your story is very amusing, indeed.

But believe it or not, your grammar is not consistent with 1826's era; believe me I know. You might really want to check up on that. And another thing, why are you worried about identity theft if by your time there was no Social Security at all (which was created in 1935 with the Social Security Act of the same year).

if you would pay attention Transient001, he did not know aobut Identity Theft until someone told him at the library. Also, he does speak like someone from that time from what I know so far. Their language wasn't much different but there are some words that he uses that we don't or are different in context. I don't speak your type of English language and I am in this time.

True. But there is still a strange sense of non-wonder in his commentaries. Also, his cultural acclimatization to this temporal stream is seamless. I do not think its a real claim. Believe me, I've been here for a while and you wont believe the claims. Many are really interesting with a lot of details, but many others are simply plain. If he is a time traveler he might now this question.

He was a farmer, right?

In the 1820's?

Well he might know the answer to this simple question, what part broke more often in the self cleaning drilling pump used to plant pumpkin seeds?

The answer is fairly simple, if you were in 1826. Unfortunately it is not found in the internet, so let the man answer the question. I know we all want to believe, but to believe for the sake of believing leads to perdition. We have to be on our toes, otherwise we might end up having time traveling flying bovines on top of our roofs and we all know that might become a tad unbecoming.

Greetings my friends,

I have been busy adjusting myself to my temporary stay in Adam's home. I should mention his and his family's benevolence in taking me in and the warm treatment I am receiving.

Skarpz, I am afraid Oregon would be far too great a distance to imagine traveling. I will be certain, as I said before, to notify my wife of your relatives and have her send them a letter. Of course, we shall relate my story to them. Whether they would believe it or not is another matter.

Concerning their burned house you mentioned, should there be a message you would have me pass on to them?

Transient001, Before I respond to your question about the seed planter, let me make one important point as delicately as I can.

A farmer knows his tools and equipment. If, for example, a farmer should plant a crop such as tobacco, he knows the tools and equipment he needs for the tillage of that crop. Generally, a farmer does not know the tools he does not use.

My answer to your question is that I do not know of this seed planter's weakness. I do not use such a thing.

My crops include wheat and oat. I use a single-furrow plough drawn by my one horse. The seeds are scattered once the soil is tilled properly.

Hi Ted,

I have done some searches for you, and I found this person Steven Gibbs who might be able to help you, but I don't know if his HDR unit can travel that far to 200 years ago...

Here is a video (moving pictures) of what happen to the watch (clock) when he turns on his units.

If you are interested to contact Mr Gibbs, please private message me. (click "Inbox" on top right corner menu of this page, when you see the drop down menu "Conversations", click the blue link "start a new conversation" to me) And I will send you his contact details. Hopefully you can find your way home.

About the identity theft thing, I don't think a 200 years old identity, name or birthday can have any use by anyone in this era. You are basically having no ID (identification) in 2012. So I don't think showing your true name or pre-1826 date of birth will do any damage.

Kind regards,
Andy (servantx).

Well my friends I have nothing further to add to this thread. Good afternoon, have a nice cup of tea and enjoy the story. I hope the poor timetraveling farmer gets safely home....going from home to home putting right where once was wrong, changing history for the better, leaping from time to time hoping that his next leap will be his leap home.......

Cheers!!!

Greetings my friends,

I have been busy adjusting myself to my temporary stay in Adam's home. I should mention his and his family's benevolence in taking me in and the warm treatment I am receiving.

Skarpz, I am afraid Oregon would be far too great a distance to imagine traveling. I will be certain, as I said before, to notify my wife of your relatives and have her send them a letter. Of course, we shall relate my story to them. Whether they would believe it or not is another matter.

Yeah, you are right on that one. Some people die on that journey during your time. And you have just taught me a lot. Thank you. I wish you well on your journey home. Oh, by the way, just tell them that a man named Aaron Meier is coming to visit and treat him well. Have him stay a while until he can get on his feet. Thank you kind sir. You have helped me and my family immensely.

P.S. Tell them to look for gold.

Back