"The future ain't what it used to be."

The TTI Homestead

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
Timekeeper
Alright I've been quiet for several days while we got things figured out and decided, but I think we're far enough along the process to go ahead an announce it here:

At the end of August, we are moving our family out of the city/suburbs and out to a 16 acre homestead in the Ozarks.

Last year, we bought some raw land up in northern Washington state which I've mentioned a few times in other threads. The intent was to get up there next summer with a trailer, dig a well and then bootstrap ourselves up from zero using our savings. But now we're heading toward a recession/depression. Costs are going up and the economy is going sideways. It's not practical for us to start with raw land right this second, but if we wait another year we'll be working with a deflated dollar and less of it to work with overall due to increasing expenses.

But recently, the clouds parted and the sun shone through to reveal a place for us:

1655092558315.png

She might not look like much, but she's got it where it counts. This sits on sixteen acres of heavily wooded red oak and white pine, with a creek that runs most of the year.

1655091233380.png

This picture is out of date and this isn't the exact plot boundary, but you get the idea. Lots of woods, Along the bottom edge you can see a dirt road, which has been expanded to this:

1655092919813.png

Our property goes from that white flag down to about the third telephone pole in the distance (next to the driveway that turns right).

1655093036832.png

The driveway bends around the trees a couple turns:

1655093095622.png

And then spits you out right at the house:

1655093157938.png

Everything else is woodlands, all the way back, with deer and turkey running around (probably other things too):

1655093346814.png

We have new electric, a brand new well, access to the electric company's gigabit internet (and Starlink if we choose). Perfect setup to begin an off-grid homestead, and is exaclty what we've been looking for. We'll own everything outright before our 8-year-old gets her first car, halving our current expenses in the meantime.

This is something I've wanted to do since at least middle school. My heart has always been in the woods, and camping (as little as I'm able to do it) is always where I've been the most relaxed. Not because it's a vacation, but because it's nature. The lack of pings and alerts, cars going by, manmade noises. I'm not a bird watcher or a gardener or anything like that, I just find peace in the outdoors where I'm able to just... Be alive.

I'm sure plenty of people can relate to that.

This is also something the wife and I have talked about since we've known each other (known her for 11 years, married for 9). Living a simple life, relying on our neighbors and ourselves, and raising our kids to be strong competent people who know how to DO things. We found the opportunity, and we're taking the leap.

There is a LOT of work ahead of me. But it's work I get to own. I like that.

We're looking to build something 100% off-grid and self sustainable. There's a great book by Ron and Johanna Melchiore called The Self-Sufficient Backyard. In it, they describe how to become an independent homesteader on a quarter acre:

https://amzn.to/3NKymUk

1655095330464.png

The picture on the cover shows how they lay their quarter acre out to sustain two people. We're working with 64 times that size, so I'm sure we can figure out how to sustain five. The book goes into great detail about how to arrange your crops, composting, animals, everything you could want to know. The only thing you really lack after reading it is the experience of doing it.

Another great resource is this guy Justin Rhodes, who has a channel on YouTube:

There's plenty of homesteader channels out there, but Justin knows his stuff. He's got 75 acres or so out in Asheville, NC (I believe), and he even has people come out and pay him to learn how to do what he does.

The wife is in charge of the gardens, but I'll be in charge of the animals. We're looking to get rabbits, chickens and goats to start. Maybe some cows and pigs in the future, but one thing at a time.

There's just the house there, so beyond the usual stuff in getting ourselves set up we'll need to get some infrastructure built out for the animals. We found a really fantastic book that provides a ton of plans and ideas called Polyface Designs: A Comprehensive Construction Guide for Scalable Farming Infrastructure:

https://amzn.to/3xJ7MV5

1655095929792.png

In it are plans to build simple and scalable structures for permaculture farming. So we'll start with a chicken broiler:

03F19094-198B-4612-BBCD-7675A171204E.jpeg

The books details everything you'll need and provides a wood cutlist.

DFA5F4EB-611F-450A-B3A1-9CB1F9715EA0.jpeg

93E6D10C-E96D-4017-9A16-E0FFF515CAB4.jpeg

And it's basically Legos after that:

84498D27-D941-4D30-B95E-7A37A0E2ECC6.jpeg

This is all still a ways out, we're working on getting rid of things here and getting ourselves out there. We'll leave around the last couple weeks of August, but I'll document what we're doing to get ready and keep this thread current with what's going on!

We're time traveling back to simpler times.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cosmo - Congratulations on buying your new home! :)
Thank you! It'll be a big change going from city/suburbs to rural Arkansas, but you only get one shot at life and I've come to realize what we're doing isn't living.

The way forward is the way back.

you only get one shot at life
You know, I've got to be honest, I strongly disagree with that. There have been accounts claiming that reincarnation is real. Also, I strongly believe that if one wanted to, he could live his life over again. For instance, I want to either change history or create a whole new timeline, then relive life from the start with the things of my imagination converted to reality. Did you ever consider these possibilities?

As for the rest of your post, I can relate very much to what you're saying. :)

You know, I've got to be honest, I strongly disagree with that. There have been accounts claiming that reincarnation is real. Also, I strongly believe that if one wanted to, he could live his life over again. For instance, I want to either change history or create a whole new timeline, then relive life from the start with the things of my imagination converted to reality. Did you ever consider these possibilities?
LOL maybe, but at the moment I'm interested in THIS life. if I can get all my kids and my wife to reincarnate with me, maybe we'll give Alaska a try on the next go.

if I can get all my kids and my wife to reincarnate with me, maybe we'll give Alaska a try on the next go.
OK, if you guys decide to reincarnate or start life over again as I plan to do, I wish you good luck in faring well with the Arctic-like weather of Alaska LOL! :LOL: :)

For purchase ? that be gold you'll be swamped with orders:)
Absolutely. I've been dreaming of being able to do something like that for years. One of the first things getting set up is a workshop, probably just a shed from Home Depot to start, but I'll finally have a place to do stuff like that. Big boy capsules, not any of that PVC garbage.

Whew. It's been a busy month, so updates have been scant. Lots of freelance work landed too, so powering through that to help fund everything and keep us whole. Everything is going great, just extraordinarily busy as one is during the current year.

We're on the home stretch, though, liquidating the rest of the stuff we're not taking this week and getting the rest of it packed and shipped. We aren't taking a U-Haul or anything, so that presents some additional challenging maneuvers. That will pay off in the end.

We're heading out by car in about 2 weeks, and plan on posting some photos and updates along the way :)

Godspeed. And please, Cosmo, dig a tornado shelter.
And miss my chance to see Oz?

And btw, my older child says she clears more profit seeming Legos on Bricklink than eBay ??
Yeah but Bricklink expects you to sort them out first, and there's 375 pounds of it, Doing that proved to be an impossible feat in a crackerjack box townhouse with three little kids, a cat, a dog and a Time Tortoise.. eBay seemed like the faster alternative as a bulk lot, so at least I TRIED to sell them off, a display of commitment to the cause. Nobody wants to spend that kind of money right now, so I'll keep them and find a good use for them once we're set up. Maybe a Titor machine replica or a Gobekle Tepe diorama, or something. If all else fails I can use them to build animal feeders.

"Set up" at the moment means a livable house, a garden with some late season veggies (turnips and spinach, etc) and a few chickens. I'm going to post pictures and stuff once we hit the road on Saturday and make this its own TTI project. We don't REALLY have internet there yet (fiber is coming but 9 weeks out), but once we do we'll get some Twitch streams going again and show you guys what it's like.

It will be an adventure.

375 pounds of it
o_O

Titor machine replica
?

how do you even eat a turnip? I love vegetables but I don't know that I've ever had one in my life...

fiber is coming but 9 weeks out
I reeeealy hope I'm wrong, but I'm imagining that 9 weeks in Arkansas means about two and a half years.

get some Twitch streams going again
Sounds good. I need to get back on Discord, too. Interesting TTI crowd there!

Godspeed.

how do you even eat a turnip?
I dunno but I'll probably be the expert soon.

200.gif

Back