Could you love an android adult?

PaulaJedi

Rift Surfer
Similar to my thread about loving an android child:

Could you love an android child?

I decided to get opinions about loving an adult android. Could you fall in love with an android that has human characteristics like Data on Star Trek or the boy in the show Extant? This would be an android that looks completely human, makes its own decisions, etc.

What if you didn't know it was an android, fell in love, then found out that he or she was? Would your feelings change?

It comes right down to how we define life. And how do we know these androids aren't self aware?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I believe it is possible to love an android. Don't think it would matter if I knew or not, IF the android fulfilled specific needs. Companionship, similar interests, and emotional support...would it matter if that companion was not a living being?

Paula-j asked

Could you love and android adult?
Answers,..Depends on the model made.Micro-machinery sometimes transcends into an almost biological state of being. So there is a shade above it being, "excuse me please", just a step above a human like pleasure toy, or more commonly known as a dildo, than another sentient being.Because an android CAN be semi-mechanical, may inventors for projects to where there will be a long arduous exploration campaign, seem to choose a synthetic human.This type of human is produced in much the same way as the new meat is grown now, as a replacement for farms grown meat.

If a group of fellas and gals gets the right master-copy stem DNA, a few can lay out a growing in vivo nutrient bath, that will produce a reasonable facsimile of a standard human that hails from the womb.

*The social thing is with an synthetic, or a very high quality android, is that may in some ways not be able to get over the life assignment hump, as in their being, they are born to a dedicated job.

This is why in the mythical in the movie Prometheus, that David who was a near life synthetic, had committed a deciding conflict between work-life and fraternal fratricide, to Dr. Holloway.*Remember' Holloway referred to David the synthetic, as, If you had been a real boy", or not being a real person.This taunting had to be bugging the sh*t out of David, so he exposed him to the dark side of the mission goals, which was to bring back a bad slice life to Earth for research. So' bye bye Dr. Holloway.

As a matter of fact, the movie Prometheus shows how one should not treat an artificial life form.

In the real Paula, I feel that some conflicts with assigned duties might cause a schizophrenic beak, this is as with a dedicate sort of work-determination, an android might cause internal conflicts?

Malfunctions you ask...? 1.Might break down and refuse to do anything. This is because being in love with a human would be hazardous.Too many conflicts as this is what love is. 2. Might kill the human out of frustration. 3. But if they had done a really good job on fashioning the android, "hey' they just may fall in love"?!

*The social thing is with an synthetic, or a very high quality android, is that may in some ways not be able to get over the life assignment hump, as in their being, they are born to a dedicated job.
They would have to be programmed that way. One could be programmed to find it's own life path, just like us. Humans are born as blank slates. Why couldn't an android?

Malfunctions you ask...? 1.Might break down and refuse to do anything. This is because being in love with a human would be hazardous.Too many conflicts as this is what love is. 2. Might kill the human out of frustration. 3. But if they had done a really good job on fashioning the android, "hey' they just may fall in love"?!
Androids could prove that romantic love doesn't exist and is based solely on hormones. This comes back to the question of whether or not to program romantic responses into them or just allow them to learn on their own. They just don't have hormones to do the controlling like we do.

Paula-J said

They would have to be programmed that way. One could be programmed to find it's own life path, just like us. Humans are born as blank slates. Why couldn't an android?
By and large from what I know, most skin jobs are designed for a purpose, as again by and large, they are pre-determined for a purpose. _How a human is made, is that it become synthesic or adaptive to learn from the sensory input of its own environment. In many ways this factor is what programs a human, is its surroundings.
I guess you could let a synthetic human go to zero, but something tells me that it would not learn from its surroundings as a human would.They would have to be raised in an artificial wombs that would give it all the characteristics of a human womb environment. Nobody really knows the depth of this relation, as this is a translate effect from an association of both a mother and a father.

For a synthetic, there has to be some sort of infantile programming, or it would not even learn its basic instincts.

One's libido, in part comes from both the mother and father, and or their primary upbringing. Synthetics are also born full size, or as a clone which grow from child to adult. It all depends.

Paula-J said

Androids could prove that romantic love doesn't exist and is based solely on hormones. This comes back to the question of whether or not to program romantic responses into them or just allow them to learn on their own. They just don't have hormones to do the controlling like we do.
Going the extra distance.What love may be, is one an affectation of familiarity to where on organ, or entity seems to like either association or symbiosis, with another.In humans however, this may be expressed as seeming to like the aftermath of a collision of wills resulting in an argument.
This may be to where a human might like this condition, however a factoring machine might not, because of the conflicts, which juxtapose against machine code logic.

*The one type of love that I have forgotten, is just plain old companionship, which goes past the sex lust goo, which may befuddle a machine._ In a synthetic human being, one that would have a reactive pre-human home-life love programming, one can install synthetic hormones, or even a partitive human similar physiology.

What is really really interesting, if you've ever seen the Prometheus movie and or read same story, is that David was born with an almost a logical step up from humans.In the movie, just before USCSS Prometheus *ship lands on the ground, we are given a look into David's daily routine. In this purview we observe that he has likes and dislikes.He enjoys artistic if not valuable historical films and tires to better himself every day.

The sad part of the rest of the movie after touchdown, is that Dr. Holloway, who is even skilled in zeno-historical anthropology, does not have the albeit necessary common sense, to back off of David's potential anger buttons. This would be to where an alternate ending to the story line might have occurred, because Holloway would have taken David in as a friend, rather than a punching bag.

In David's early making, he would have probably been subjected to massive amounts of pre-necessary functional information given via some device to impart this information into him.

This is known as a rapid learning type of teaching, social instruction.However remember as a new life form, or a near blank slight, David could have tolerated these imparted by learning machine great amounts of information._If one does this same skill set learning process with a human, what occurs in similarity with a human being, is a phenomenon known as upload, download, "however one looks at the term", over-stacking. This is where the existing information is pushed aside, such as everyday pieces of knowledge, but the new information must therefore be processed, as this would be a priority newly installed feature.

Our being would experience trouble talking and odd episodes in language syntax, due to and till that information has been processed._An ass, such as Holloway would have begun to be looked upon, by a super-human agent as a piece of social catastrophe fodder, to be done away with in the name of science.What David was hoping for, is that Dr. Holloway would be first frozen, then taken back to Earth as a scientific container explaining what the Engineers were doing on distant moon LV-223.

Paula' the other love, would be that of a true friend that would require a constant type of companionship, in which some of the elements of love would be demonstrative as fielded as components of a close association.In this other similarity, your talking more closely to Data of the Star Trek Next Generations series. In this other more machine stead, Data the android tries to justify trying being human, as to where the David series in Prometheus had long ago pledge a certain loyalty not only to the missions nature on moon LV-223, but to Peter Weyland himself, as a father figure.

There's a difference between the two styles of servants?

I love my 650 Suzuki street bike? 140 MPH 1/4 mile in 12 seconds. Cops hate it, but who cares?
Do you put parts of your personal anatomy inside of it and tell it that you'll never leave it?

Paula' I've taken extra special care, as I don't know who you are.You may actually be in the market for an android or synthetic lover.I have no possible way of knowing. The one issue that I've got to put forwards here, is that love or the feeling of attachment, even if this were in the unified sense, is sometimes haphazard.

So in this sense of realization, if you, or anyone else would say, want or desire a machine of semi-biological form of a companion that is able to love in the prescribed way that humans would want to accept this affection, this factor in turn would be specific to the origin of the semi- or full artificial life form.

*The biggest problem with a synthetic lover, is could that companion to a human emotionally or para-emotionally take the ups and downs associated with human love?

This factor in part, might root back to who has made this bot, or synthetic and what was the founding before launch so to speak of its own mission intention? I have been very considerate of your potential wants here, I hope that you appreciate my caring for a viable set of circumstances answer?

*Between you and me, I think that they've already made a few.If they can manufacture grown meat for the public to consume, if you get the right contributing cells for the beginning matrix, plus have the machinery, you can, now, make an artificial human. Just who when or where of this making, is not known, but only a guess as of now.

Paula-J said By and large from what I know, most skin jobs are designed for a purpose, as again by and large, they are pre-determined for a purpose. _How a human is made, is that it become synthesic or adaptive to learn from the sensory input of its own environment. In many ways this factor is what programs a human, is its surroundings.
Right. What I mean is DO NOT program a purpose into the android and let it learn from sensory input just as we do.

Paula_J said,.

What I mean is DO NOT program a purpose into the android and let it learn from sensory input just as we do.
With a highly advanced android and this would have to be near the level of nano-micro-machinery, you can pre-program love as a component of their physical makeup. However with a synthetic, they take a good level of pre-programming or education in the growing light that they learn to live off.This is so, as in essence, your growing a meat-vegetable. I respectfully do not know how else to put this.
Something grown in similar fashion to a Prometheus David, in time may make a good lover, but if you don't preen and take care of it while it's growing, it will remain as what conditions that your giving it.

The descriptive liar, indicates the possible intention of an ulterior motive.Then you feel that think that bots have such motives?
Metal and Rubber do not a human make. Make it look like a human, make it talk like a human. It still isn't human, seems like a big lie to me.I don't think robots will ever have true consciousness, only deceptively complex algorithm's that make it seem that way.

The descriptive liar, indicates the possible intention of an ulterior motive.Then you feel that think that bots have such motives?
Interesting question. How could a robot learn to lie and make its own decision to lie? Would it have to be pre-programmed, or could it learn that lying is ok for certain circumstances such as survival?

David the synthetic in Prometheus did just that.If you show down your thought processes on that one, you begin to see why he had gotten back at Dr. Holloway.The guy really had it coming.

David the synthetic in Prometheus did just that.If you show down your thought processes on that one, you begin to see why he had gotten back at Dr. Holloway.The guy really had it coming.
I saw the movie and enjoyed it, but I don't remember a whole lot so I will have to see it again!