Could you love an android child?

I wrote "Androids will become concurrents to humans in all aspects" This includes, that the android children will be superior to the real ones. A stupid female will prefer artificial child no matter if she is married to a computer, or not. Females are dumb. They can trade their genetics for an advanced doll, as clearly be seen from this topic.
The original topic isn't about trading a real baby for an android. I'm curious as to why you consider ALL women dumb?
Many women, (there are always exceptions), have a natural instinct to care for and nurture a child. If an android child behaved like a real one, I really do think some women would bond with them and protect them. I think I would. Does that make me stupid? We don't even understand consciousness, yet. What if, at some point, it becomes self aware? We just don't know.

Having an android child instead of a real one is actually a trading a real baby for an android. If you decide to have one (or one more) child, and do not want to do such a trading, then you have to have a real child.

Deciding in favor of the android, and applying that type of an idea in terms of its development in time will lead to devastating consequences for the human kind.

All women have an emotional type of thinking compared with the rational type of thinking in the man. When it is to choose between emotions and real interest, they choose emotions. This makes them dumb in rational perspective.

All women, who decide to raise an android child are dumb enough to expose to a danger of their own genetic lifeline. If you do so, then you are dumb too.

Having an android child instead of a real one is actually a trading a real baby for an android. If you decide to have one (or one more) child, and do not want to do such a trading, then you have to have a real child.
Like I said. The discussion isn't about trading babies. It's simply if an android child could be loved.

All women have an emotional type of thinking compared with the rational type of thinking in the man. When it is to choose between emotions and real interest, they choose emotions. This makes them dumb in rational perspective.
You don't have much success with women, I see. Apparently, you've met "all" women as well. You make many generalizations.

All women, who decide to raise an android child are dumb enough to expose to a danger of their own genetic lifeline. If you do so, then you are dumb too.
My IQ says otherwise.

Android child can be loved, and this is the main problem, especially if some day the android children get to mass production.

I am satisfied with my success with women. I have satisfied all of my sexual and emotional dreams at least once.

Each woman, who choose an android instead of a real child is going against her own genetic life line. I got tired from this topic. Maybe soon I will leave it. Do what you want. We have a very nice saying here in Bulgaria - Each idiot deserves his faith. Destroy your genetic life line as much as you like.

Android child can be loved, and this is the main problem, especially if some day the android children get to mass production.I am satisfied with my success with women. I have satisfied all of my sexual and emotional dreams at least once.
Each woman, who choose an android instead of a real child is going against her own genetic life line. I got tired from this topic. Maybe soon I will leave it. Do what you want. We have a very nice saying here in Bulgaria - Each idiot deserves his faith. Destroy your genetic life line as much as you like.
Considering this is just a discussion and is not reality, nothing will be destroyed. Android children do not yet exist.

Yes. Android children do not exist yet. Even though, my advise to the people, who will dream for android children in the future is already recorded here in this topic.

We don't know at what point something is self aware, meaning, what defines life and consciousness? When and how does the soul develop? If an android child was learning just like a human child, how could you treat it differently or even be mean to it, especially if it LOOKS human? What would give us the right to create a being and then ridicule it, machine or not?

What would give us the right to create a being and then ridicule it, machine or not?
Absolutely nothing. If we created something artificial, that by our own definition of the word was considered ALIVE and CONSCIOUS, then it would be morally unjust to not afford it the same considerations that we do biological life of the same level.

The different sides of the debate here seem to be assuming different levels of "alive-ness" here - We're not talking about a Furby or an Aibo robotic dog that can parrot words or perform simple programmed routines - We're talking about whether or not we would be able to feel love for a life created via non-biological means.

@seivtcho, I dislike your assertion that anyone (women, specifically) would have to be "stupid" to feel compassion or love for a being that wasn't made by smashing our genetic materials together.

Yes, if Paula decided to let her biologically alive child drown while she rescued her Big Mouth Billy Bass because she was more attached to it, that'd be pretty fucked up because Big Mouth Billy Bass isn't alive. However, that's not what we're talking about... We're assuming that this artificial being is alive, conscious and self aware by every definition of the word. At that point, I don't think there'd be much difference from an ethical or intelligence standpoint.

...All women have an emotional type of thinking compared with the rational type of thinking in the man. When it is to choose between emotions and real interest, they choose emotions. This makes them dumb in rational perspective....
My wife is known to be consistently more rational than myself. But perhaps I am simply a poor example. I even misspell the word intelligence all the time. :) At the same time, emotions can be an important guiding force in many instances. While the intuitive response they can provide may not be explainable in the moment, the rationality of the decisions that emotions evoke can be quite clear in hindsight. "Gut feeling" is quite a useful tool in my opinion.

...Deciding in favor of the android, and applying that type of an idea in terms of its development in time will lead to devastating consequences for the human kind. ...
If anything, seivtcho, I admire your concern for the human race and your devotion to it. I would hate for us to become an endangered species or encounter an existential event. I read somewhere a prediction of a time far in the future, maybe tens of thousands of years, where artificial intelligence and artificially "enhanced" humans rule. Natural humans were still "allowed" to exist peacefully and with all their needs met, almost in the same way we would ideally treat primates today.
Tell me this, from your rational perspective, though. Why do you care what happens to the human race far in the future? What are your reasons? You will be long gone by then. Is there some rational reason to care about your descendants? Even so, they may have died off as well. Perhaps the universe would be more peaceful without humans. What gives mankind any more right to live than advanced forms of artificial intelligence? (I just misspelled intelligence again before correcting it.) In other words, what is your reason for wanting to protect the future of this species called Homo Sapiens Sapiens? I have my answers, but I am curious to yours and to where your "faith" lies.

Absolutely nothing. If we created something artificial, that by our own definition of the word was considered ALIVE and CONSCIOUS, then it would be morally unjust to not afford it the same considerations that we do biological life of the same level. ...
You bring up an interesting point. It would be easy to see sentient androids as the next round of slaves. Humankind seems to desire again and again to have life that they can abuse without and regard or consequence. I'm sure this trope has been explored many times in sci-fi. In fact, I think the origins of my precious Transformers has roots in this theme.

... Yes, if Paula decided to let her biologically alive child drown while she rescued her Big Mouth Billy Bass because she was more attached to it...
Big Mouth Billy!! I wouldn't put it past some people... Definitely get the kid first and have someone else jump in to save Billy. BUT SAVE BILLY!!!! :eek:

You bring up an interesting point. It would be easy to see sentient androids as the next round of slaves. Humankind seems to desire again and again to have life that they can abuse without and regard or consequence. I'm sure this trope has been explored many times in sci-fi. In fact, I think the origins of my precious Transformers has roots in this theme.
I would have problems with developing androids just for slaves. As I said previously, at what point are they self aware? How do we know if a soul isn't inserted at some point, by God perhaps. Humanity doesn't need servants. I think it would be morally wrong even to develop something that represents a human and use it as a servant.
My original stance was that if I came across an Android child, I would treat it like any other child.

My original stance was that if I came across an Android child, I would treat it like any other child.
Exactly. So long as it fit the definition of being sentient and alive, I'd have no second thoughts about it. It wouldn't even need to look human or even "cute" like Johnny 5 from Short Circuit - I'd still treat it like a person.

Exactly. So long as it fit the definition of being sentient and alive, I'd have no second thoughts about it. It wouldn't even need to look human or even "cute" like Johnny 5 from Short Circuit - I'd still treat it like a person.
that's heart!

....Tell me this, from your rational perspective, though. Why do you care what happens to the human race far in the future? What are your reasons? You will be long gone by then. Is there some rational reason to care about your descendants? Even so, they may have died off as well. Perhaps the universe would be more peaceful without humans. What gives mankind any more right to live than advanced forms of artificial intelligence? (I just misspelled intelligence again before correcting it.) In other words, what is your reason for wanting to protect the future of this species called Homo Sapiens Sapiens? I have my answers, but I am curious to yours and to where your "faith" lies.

Yes, maybe the human kind does not deserve to live. It is crammed with cretenoid degradates, that too dumb to identify the threats of their specie's extinction. Trying to open their eyes is payed off with differen bad consequences for you, for example being banned for one week. As I told you previously, each idiot deserves his faith. Develop the fake children, make them better than the biological ones, spread them all over the world, and happily destroy your genetic life line. I don't have reasons and answers, that to be accepted by the people in this forum. Actually the topic starts to make me angry. I am out of this topic. Bye!

If I had no other children, just maybe I would bond with it, especially if it were like Data from Star Trek. However, as someone mentioned, if I had a real flesh and blood child, I would favor that child. I would truly love that child, because that child came from me, they are a part of me. In the end I would still have in back of my mind this is a computer, a machine. I would think of it like loving my laptop or cell phone, which is just not going to happen. Mixed ideas about the posed question. Kind of an eerie topic.

I'm thinking back to the episode of Star Trek where Tasha Yar discovers Data is fully functional in a fundamental way.
LOL... and a woman dated Data once, too. I don't remember her name. The poor guy tried to do everything by the book.

I'm thinking back to the episode of Star Trek where Tasha Yar discovers Data is fully functional in a fundamental way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking hard about this. It depends on the android child's personality (if ever he or she does have a personality). But come to think of it, if we're able to love our pets and cartoon characters, I think it wouldn't be hard to love an android child as if it were your own. I have a maternal instinct so I'd be more welcoming than most people.

↑ i agree

The android child is convincing enough? A person will fall back on human nature. Could a thinking machine emulating human emotion love a human child? It would certain meet a baby's needs. Beyond that, would there be a deeper bond?

If you spend enough time interacting with something that looks and acts human, even if it is an android, I'm pretty sure we as humans would morn if they were destroyed.