"The future ain't what it used to be."

Is Morey Haber really John Titor?

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
Timekeeper
It's been YEARS since I dug into John Titor stuff. The last substantive thing I watched about it was John Razimus' investigative documentary about it, but that was long ago. While discussing Titor in this thread, we were talking about whether the story had been debunked or not. @Dizzie reminded me of a thread I'd created in 2017 after watching that Razimus video where I present it as fact.:

http://timetravelinstitute.com/threads/john-titors-identity-revealed-to-be-morey-haber.8018/

It seemed convincing enough to make a thread about it at the time. Still, this was in the infancy of my TTI ownership, and shortly before I closed things up for a bit (lots of crazy people posting violence). I hopped on the bandwagon because it seemed like a good way to get people talking about something interesting.

Today, I spent the afternoon live streaming this and talking about it along the way. This was my first honest attempt at streaming, so it's pretty terrible, but you can check that out here if you're interested:

After watching the video, I'm not convinced Morey Haber created John Titor. I say this in 2022, being of relatively sound mind and spirit. My 2017 counterpart is too willing to play yesman. The Habers are involved (the foundation and the book). However, much of the spin toward Morey is hearsay and confirmation bias. I have nothing against Razimus; I think his video is excellent and mostly correct, but not all of it.

The other problem I have is the text comparison. You can no longer get to the document links in the YouTube video's description, but zooming in on the video while he's talking about it shows phrases like "and then he" or "in order to" or "because of the." Razimus uses these matches to assert that because both samples of writing have a lot of matches, they must be the same person.

The word combinations I saw were common phrases that everybody uses. I could not look deep into four orfive-word matches, but the comparison tool being used is for plagiarism checks, not writing style analysis. I am sure you can do AN analysis with that tool, but it's not convincing to me without more information or comparisons against other writers.

The Habers are certainly involved, but I think they inserted themselves into the equation after the Titor posts had been made.

Based on what I know and what I've seen in this video, my current theory is this:

1. The original author of the Titor posts is still unknown
  2. One of the Habers knew of the TTI or Art Bell forums

3. Brandon is at an appropriate age to be interested in these things and could have shown his father or uncle
  4. In the end, at least Larry knows of this story, if not all of them

[*]These people are entertainment lawyers; they see a compelling story and an interesting character

[*]For fun, one of them decides to create the John Titor Foundation and play out the book scenario

1. This book is now a niche collector's item
  2. The Habers now allegedly own some form of the Titor story
  3. There's talk of a movie, definitely good for them

I think it is more plausible that they saw an opportunity to have some fun, attached themselves, and then wanted to forget about it after things petered out.

Throughout the Razimus video, we're shown Arthur Haber's emails. Arthur cannot write, his syntax is all over the map, and some sentences aren't even complete thoughts. Beccause of that, places where he asays "seeing how far they could take it" or "just having fun," I can't discount that as an outsider's perspective on what he was told.

With the writing comparison, he zeroes in on Morey because of a Facebook photo that REMINDED him of an avatar Titor WOULD use (Titor never had an avatar). It's a hunch, and those are a thing that can pay off, but it doesn't appear that he tried to compare any other writing samples. The examples he scrolls through in the video are all common ones you'd probably find throughout this post. I would have liked to see him compare it against his own writings, or those of people we know would not be Titor.

A counterpoint might be that there's no way the Habers could have known Pamela's address. Pamela gave that info to John Titor. However, these are entertainment lawyers. People who run businesses and know about computers. It would have been possible for them to find her without it. Especially in 2001's internet. Was there ever a handoff from Titor to the Habers? That would have made a more convincing story, but its absence makes sense if they were riding coattails.

The story died, and they went back to their lives... Arthur refers to the story as "a joke the family sometimes tells." That explanation would make sense if you were a coattail rider, but their story created Steins;Gate. John Titor is referenced in comic books. He's in video games.

Having that effect on your own culture does not align with their reaction, especially Brandon, who should be smiling like a Cheshire cat in that interview. It does line up with the response of someone who latched on afterward or during, though.

Think of how much consequence-free money the Habers would be entitled to if they could produce that time machine. Even if Morey Haber came to my house, cradled me in his arms, and whispered "I am Titor" into my ear, it wouldn't mean anything without evidence. Anybody can say anything. I want to see the machine - It would have been kept around, and at a minimum, they should be able to describe what components were used to build it. How'd they create the cutaway graphics that matched the physical device? This isn't something you throw out after you stick the landing. It's a trophy.

I'm not the authority on John TItor. This is just my opinion, and probably an incorrect one. I think it's interesting, though, and activates my almonds.

If you see a way to deflate this let me know, there's always a bigger fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if Morey Haber came to my house, cradled me in his arms, and whispered "I am Titor" into my ear, it wouldn't mean anything without evidence.
Oh wowwwww this is definitely the highest quality comedy this site has ever produced - thank you for this beautifully crafted scenario!! I can see it vividly in my mind's eye and hopefully it will haunt my dreams tonight ?

In yesterday's stream, I ran back through some of the points I made above - Namely the text comparison @Razimus did between Titor and Morey Haber. I cannot find the name of the software he used to do the comparisons just now, but it appeared to only be looking for "matches" between two texts. I didn't see anything that implied that it was a tool to compare the voice or writing style though.

Disclaimer: I think Razimus did an outstanding job. It is incredibly challenging just to turn the camera on, let alone produce something tongue-in-cheek with that much thought and effort behind it. While I disagree with the text analysis conclusion, I think everything else he presented was interesting and well done.

I started thinking maybe we have something in 2022 that could use AI or machine learning to help identify authorship of the posts. A lot of that stuff gets really heavy really fast. However, I stumbled upon this:

https://github.com/evllabs/JGAAP

This is a tool to aid in the practice of Stylometry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylometry

I'm going to run a little experiment, and collect the posts of every participant in the TItor threads and set them up as known "authors". Then, we can run those through JGAAP and compare each poster against TItor's posts and see who comes out as the highest probability match.

The only disadvantage I can think of is we're comparing Titor's posts against a limited pool of people. If it shows that "Lee Heggy" from the Art Bell forums is the highest probability match, it only means the highest probability of the ones we tested. Our pool of candidates needs to be pretty broad for this to make sense.

If you can think of any potential authors (outside of Morey Haber and those who participated in the threads), let me know and I will figure out how to incorporate that. Everything I do will be put up in the resources section too, so others can experiment with my results.

Might be neat to compare some casual writing from the same year of the original Titor posts that was all written by a single random author totally unrelated whose "voice" seems like a typical American 20ish years ago. It could almost serve as a "control" or benchmark.

Might be neat to compare some casual writing from the same year of the original Titor posts that was all written by a single random author totally unrelated whose "voice" seems like a typical American 20ish years ago. It could almost serve as a "control" or benchmark.
That would be cool. @Mop would be an interesting test subject too, even though most of his posts were pretty short.

In the end, we will discover it was hdrkid all along.

In the end, we will discover it was hdrkid all along.
Hahaha I'd never ever heard of this would be futurist since it looks like their activity on TTI predated mine. Looks like they are very active on other forums.

Their prophetic powers are obviously off the charts as shown in their most recent tweet, attached!

Screenshot_20220322-144143~2.png

Oh my goodness... hdrkid is a treasure. He's the most well-known user of the Stephen Gibbs hyperdimensional resonator (probably getting the acronym wrong). He's got a very long thread around here, and he was part of the "main cast" in the early Paranormalis days. Lots of stories about seeing the Star Wars sequels while astral projecting and dozens of police cars arriving at his home. Definitely one of the most inventive people I've encountered in my internet adventures.

I sent @Darby a message a couple days ago asking about past staff members of TTI (I want to add a little badge to their name so people can see who's helped in the past). He revealed that TTI has been around since 1997, which I wasn't aware of. Oldest Archive.org page is 1999, and I think maybe there could have been another BBS in the beginning that's been lost to time.

If that's true, then the Art Bell faxes (which are supiciously TItor-like, even if its not confirmed) could have originated from a member here. Darby might have an old hard drive with some interesting stuff on it, if I can get a sense of who the "main cast" was at the time from someone who was there, those would definitely be people I'd want to compare against (even if they never participated).

TimeTravelActivist would be a good one too. He railed against Titor quite a bit, was very upset that someone would lie on the internet. It'd be hilarious if it was just a sock puppet to argue with himself.

Oh my goodness... hdrkid is a treasure. He's the most well-known user of the Stephen Gibbs hyperdimensional resonator (probably getting the acronym wrong). He's got a very long thread around here, and he was part of the "main cast" in the early Paranormalis days. Lots of stories about seeing the Star Wars sequels while astral projecting and dozens of police cars arriving at his home. Definitely one of the most inventive people I've encountered in my internet adventures.

I sent @Darby a message a couple days ago asking about past staff members of TTI (I want to add a little badge to their name so people can see who's helped in the past). He revealed that TTI has been around since 1997, which I wasn't aware of. Oldest Archive.org page is 1999, and I think maybe there could have been another BBS in the beginning that's been lost to time.

If that's true, then the Art Bell faxes (which are supiciously TItor-like, even if its not confirmed) could have originated from a member here. Darby might have an old hard drive with some interesting stuff on it, if I can get a sense of who the "main cast" was at the time from someone who was there, those would definitely be people I'd want to compare against (even if they never participated).

TimeTravelActivist would be a good one too. He railed against Titor quite a bit, was very upset that someone would lie on the internet. It'd be hilarious if it was just a sock puppet to argue with himself.
This is deeeeeeep. You're going to have a book to write when this is all said and done. If Mop is still around (sorry I can't remember, seemed like he had some health issues maybe), be sure to get an interview.

“John Titor” made the original posts. The posts were discovered at some point by the Haber family, who then attempted to commercialize the story. Morey Haber plays the role of “Oliver Williams”.

“John Titor” made the original posts. The posts were discovered at some point by the Haber family, who then attempted to commercialize the story. Morey Haber plays the role of “Oliver Williams”.
I think you're introducing a new layer to the story. It's a Batman situation, where the two could never occupy the same room. This makes a strange amount of sense...

How do you know this?

Well, the breadcrumbs were everywhere, and for years it was astonishingly simple to ascertain. Personally, I genuinely respect Razimus and his work. He is persistent, tenacious, and indeed quite entertaining - but was/is hellbent to prove “John Titor” a hoax - and to the man with a hammer, the whole world is a nail. However, in his quest to hammer each nail, he inadvertently uncovered the fact that Morey Haber is in fact “Oliver Willams” - NOT- “John Titor”. Since then, the breadcrumbs connecting Morey, et al to Oliver were swept clean - and for good reason. Can you blame them? The original posts of “John Titor” from the first to last, are authentic, and the Haber’s did not play a role.

Well, the breadcrumbs were everywhere, and for years it was astonishingly simple to ascertain. Personally, I genuinely respect Razimus and his work. He is persistent, tenacious, and indeed quite entertaining - but was/is hellbent to prove “John Titor” a hoax - and to the man with a hammer, the whole world is a nail. However, in his quest to hammer each nail, he inadvertently uncovered the fact that Morey Haber is in fact “Oliver Willams” - NOT- “John Titor”. Since then, the breadcrumbs connecting Morey, et al to Oliver were swept clean - and for good reason. Can you blame them? The original posts of “John Titor” from the first to last, are authentic, and the Haber’s did not play a role.
Because I stopped following the Titor Saga on a regular basis years ago I was unaware that Razimus discovered that Mo Haber is Oliver Williams. I can say with a high degree of confidence that Oliver Williams did not write the Titor/TTO posts. His website, I believe, is still up but basically abandoned. He knew virtually nothing about the posts or any of the posters involved. He appeared (as did I) on Coast-2-Coast after George Noory took it over. I listened to his first live interview and not only did he not know much about the posts he even forgot what his own web address was. His bit was to prove that he knew "Momma" Kay Titor but he also forgot that her first name was Kay (Noory had to que him).

Our group at Anomalies.net, composed of members who were regulars both here and on Anomalies, had already run to ground the group at Larry Haber's building in Celebration FL who openly admitted to writing the Titor book (A Time Traveler's Tale), inventing "Momma" Kay Titor (by name) and producing the "additional" photos on-site in the graphics studio in the same building. These additional photos were included in the book which claimed that they were the additional photos promised by Titor before he stopped posting. The people we talked to said, as far as they knew, this was not a hoax per se, but an online "game" - it was entertainment, they were from the entertainment industry and Larry Haber hired them. Larry Haber (Universal Studios and Disney Studios, et al) is an entertainment industry lawyer.

I no longer keep all of this data on my PC because the topic isn't one that I actively involve myself in on anything akin to a regular basis. But somewhere in my HDD stack (I never tossed an old HDD if it had data on it) on my office. Most of the data is in the archive here though Cosmo may not have transferred all of it to the current forum. Posts have been lost because Anomalies.net is no longer involved with time travel claims. It's just UFO's.

As to Larry Haber "commercializing" the Titor story its a bit more complex than that.

The Titor story did, in fact, start on Post-2-Post, Coast-2-Coast AM's online forum. But it did move here in short order. I discovered the Haber connection quite by accident. You can see at the bottom of this page the standard "About Us" notice, right? So in 2001 after Titor/TTO had left I clicked on it for the first time. Pure curiosity. As I clicked through the back pages I came across a page for "The Magical Mouse". That was a link to Disney's travel agency for people planning to visit Disneyland, Disneyworld Florida, etc. That page had a hot link to www.34747.com, the community BBS for Celebration, FL. "MOP" (Raul) was the owner of this site but this was not his business. He is a professional web designed and one of his accounts was Disneyworld and that included the Celebration, FL (Zip Code 34747) community BBS. He designed, ste up and moderated the BBS. The Celebration, FL BBS had a hotlink back to this forum. Lo and behold 1) Larry Haber was the "First Person" of Celebration (first to move in) and 2) it appeared, based on posts on the forum, that "Titor" was from Celebration. Thereafter all evidence, including JTFan's email address, used frequently by Haber as well as the Book Team. MOP had already told me in private that Titor/TTO was a member here (based on his IP address) some time before Titor was invented. Titor/TTO usually used a VPN to mask his IP. Occasionally, however, he's be drinking adult beverages while posting and that apparently caused him to forget to log in through his VPN. He unmasked his true IP. MOP told me that under the new User Agreement, even though for a long time our IP's were exposed in our posts, he was forbidden to disclose the alternate name or IP because they were by then no longer exposed. (He did this because we had not previously been required to register - I was here for over a year before I was required to register - and he was encountering too many trolls who were using Guest accounts, plugging in another user's name instead of the generic Guest moniker and it was causing chaos.

I'll break this into a second post here.

For Cosmo, the main players who did the research at Anomalies included myself, Rick Donaldson, Pamela Moore, and half dozen more. If I can find an HDD dock in my equipment room this weekend I'll go over the hard disks and see what more I can find. I haven't had an HDD on any of my systems for years. :)

Morey Haber, et al = Oliver Williams. The posts of “John Titor” are/were real…
Oh, absolutely, the posts were real...we can read them on the pinned threads here. There were a few more minor threads that Titor and TTO posted on.

The question is was the story real, that is, was he really a time traveler? No. He wasn't. He attempted to post some "physics" and a bit of math to convince people that his story was real. Unfortunately Boomer, the author, while a decent writer he knew very little about actual physics. He tossed out pseudo-science terms, made fantastic but un-physical claims, used what appeared to be the first website that popped up in his Google searches as references. I posted well founded and well educated, counters to his silly science. If, however, you look at the last page of his posts you'll see that Dave Trott ("Trott") who was asking questions similar to mine, lets him know that he is a Physics PhD candidate about to do his dissertation. Thereafter Titor suddenly said that his window of opportunity to leave was much closer than he thought and "Whoosh!" he was gone, never to return.

I made no bones about the fact that by BS degree is not physics but Experimental Psychology, with a huge emphasis on experimental design and statistical analysis. I took enough physics as electives to have a solid understanding. I contacted physicist Dr. Robert G. Brown, PhD, Duke University Physics Department and asked him to look at my analysis and if possible to comment on the Titor Saga. He did so here on TTI. To put it mildly he got a giggle out of Titor's "physics". Here's his campus webpage: https://scholars.duke.edu/person/rgb

He did make it clear that the story was so lame that he wasn't interested in spending any more time on the Titor Saga. So contacting him is not likely to be met favorably.

So we did have an actual physics PhD and a physics PhD candidate who looked at the story and found it a bit wanting.

After Titor left...I have to be honest here...I mostly lost interest in the story. At the time it really didn't have any legs and just about everything that could be said had been said. It was not a world famous meme. Here and on Anomalies, yes, it was (or became) a very popular set of threads. Being popular in a fish bowl is not world fame. On a regular basis there were two and maybe three dozen people showing anything resembling lasting interest. On Post-2-Post, before it shut down, it was little more than a tiny blip on the P2P radar screen. Art Bell's forum had a couple thousand posters most of whom never heard of Titor. When we moved the discussion to Anomalies.net it still wasn't a big deal. As I said above, Anomalies is now a UFO site. That was always the owner's (Olav Phillips) intention. We hosted the Mars Bars kooks for Richard Hoagland's forum on Anomalies. Thus, until we had to toss Hoagland because of his member's disruptive behavior, Titor was still a blip. Thereafter I pumped the Titor Saga for web hits to keep the site alive. Dumping Hoagland stopped a lot of the disruption but he also took a lot of forum members when he moved. For the rest of 2000 and most of 2001 I kept the site alive. The meme didn't become popular on a larger basis until August 2001. In one night JTFan spammed the entire WWW with a post about Titor and The Book. It wasn't just a few dozen posts here and there, it was thousands of posts on thousands of forums of all kinds. They used a spam-bot and a purchased forum list.

TTI has been around since 1997, which I wasn't aware of. Oldest Archive.org page is 1999, and I think maybe there could have been another BBS in the beginning that's been lost to time.
Cosmo,

That is correct. Prior to 1999 TTI was a sub-forum on Xone.net. In 1999 Olav was able to afford to purchase server space to host the site himself. That's one thing younger members here should keep in mind (younger as not being on the Internet prior to say 2005.

Prior to 2005 the World Wide Web could also have been interpreted as the Wacky Wild West. This was especially so in 1999. Having a hard drive, having an actual physical firewall, having Windows 95 instead of Windows 3.1 or Windows NT was the exception, not the case. Hell, having a PC an even having an Internet connection was unusual. E-commerce was in its infancy and not secure. For an individual to afford to purchase server time and space to host their ad free, free to use website was not cheap. Forcing people to actually register to post on a forum or, if registering, using Gmail (then Hotmail) to register was unusual. If required to register, most admins demanded "real" email addresses, not Hotmail. Real meaning email that you paid for, usually through your ISP.

As I said, having a physical firewall was rare because they were very expensive. Software firewalls were swiss cheese. It was amazing when you finally got a firewall of either type up and running and saw saw many incursions you had every day when you were here or on Anomalies. It was scary. So you didn't keep confidential information on your PC unless you could isolate and air gap the HDD when you weren't using the data.

So as you look back at the Titor Saga please keep the above scenario in mind because that's the world he posted to.

And I digress...

:cool:

This is outstanding. I need to read through it a few more times when it's not so late, but this is great information. If you don't mind, may I dissect some of it out into the main TItor article? I think there's a lot here for people who land on that main page.

Yikes, I mixed TTI with Anomalies. Olav moved Anomalies from Xone to a regular server in 1999. Raul started here at about the same time.

Back