"The future ain't what it used to be."

Parallel Universe

Roel van Houten

Timekeeper
Hi everyone,

I have been reading the posts by Timetravel_0 with great interest. Most of his posts sound very plausible, but I'm too sceptic to believe that he actually is a timetraveler. However, I have too little knowledge to disprove his story. Besides, it's not my intention to disprove anything.

I have been thinking about the concept of the parallel universe theory and I came up with the following question: If parallel universes do exist, did they all start simultaneously? I mean, let's assume that the universe originated from a singularity. Were there any parallel universes at that point? That would not be very logical and it would also imply that there is a parallel universe in which our universe never existed.

In my opinion, parallel universes can only exist if they are not really parallel to oneanother. The way I see it, our time line is like a branch on an enormous tree that originated from one single point. With every posible outcome of an event, a new branch is created. Assuming that this is true, traveling back in time would not take you to another timeline but back along your own "branch". The only danger of timetravel in that case would be traveling back to the future, because there is a chance that you take a "wrong turn" and end up in another future.

I also think timetravel does affect the future in the specific "branch" that you are in. Then again, there would always be another branch that branched off BEFORE the point to which you traveled back. And that branch would be almost identical, except for the fact that your timetravel never took place.

Perhaps it's better if I'd draw a diagram. I guess it's difficult to visualize just by reading this post. It all seems logical to me. As I already said, I do not have enough knowledge of quantum physics and timetravel to support my theory, so any comments are more than welcome.

Greetings from rainy Amsterdam,
Roel

Hi Roel,
This statement made by timetraveler_0 has really interested me and i have asked him to explain it a little further.

"Yes, this is true. If I go forward on this world line, the future will not be my future. I get home by going back to 1975 before I arrived and then going forward to 2036."

I have written him a letter, and forwarded another guys letter to him.
But I have not heard from him since dec. 13th I am getting a little concerned about it. Im hoping he is just busy.He was just busy last time I had not heard from him for awhile.but I do think about his safety.

I dont know why but I had to read that statement over and over and over to myself.
he goes back before he arrived....before he arrived.... there is something about that statement. I hope he explains what he meant to me soon.
happy.gif

sincerely,
pamela

<This message has been edited by pamela (edited 20 December 2000).>

Roel, A very interesting visual you painted; however don't forget that if you look at trees, branches brush against each other constantly. I visualize hundreds of springs like inside of a well made chair or couch that also brush against each other while moving tight then loose. Each one a seperate dimension but they brush each other. Also each spring a timeline that touches when compressed. I honestly believe that some human disappearances are related to these moments of future touching past or one dimension touching another. Then again I really don't know anything. I just theorize. P.S. Hi Pamela! You are the hub of the wheel and hold all us spokes together. what ever happened to Time 02112? Is he still around? I saw another name as discussion lion tamer.

Hi, I was pleasantly surprised by the quick reply. Thank you!

I thought Timetravel_0 had already returned to the future (for as far as this applies, because I'm still not convinced). But I guess I must have misinterpreted some of his words, because I just read a post that was dated 21st of december.

I personally don't think that timelines "brush" against eachother. To be honest, I can't think of an event that would confirm your theory. Can you be more specific about what you mean?

Greetings from cold and rainy Amsterdam...

Roel van Houten

Roel, Don't ask. Yes it can happen but without a mathematical formula to make all these hard nose scientists happy there's no point in discussing it. It's like seeing a UFO, unless everyone you know, and everyone you'll ever meet sees it with you, don't even try to talk about it.

The statement:

"Yes, this is true. If I go forward on this world line, the future will not be my future. I get home by going back to 1975 before I arrived and then going forward to 2036." is interesting to me, as well.

I think it refers to a time line/time branch reference point used for the return trip. He arrived in 1975 from 2036 ("The first 'leg' of my trip was from 2036 to 1975." and "I was sent back to 1975 to get a computer system and take it back to 2036.")

From 1975, he then came forward to our time. In order to get back to his correct time, he has to retrace his path: from now to 1975 to 2036. Apparently, our time line (branch) does not touch his time line (branch) after 1975, therefore, he has to go back on our branch in order to go forward on his branch.

Then he came forward

Sort of makes you dizzy. Like I mentioned before, when we put someone's face on a milk carton, (missing person) we have to distribute them in every dimension and throughout timelines. I'll bet there are some unwilling travelers in insane assylums.

mmmmh, perhaps they should start putting faces on milkcartons in other countries first, before they start putting it on milkcartons in other timelines... we don't have those milkcartons with missing people on them over here in Holland. ;-)

I get your point. Personally I have my doubts about someone ending up in another timeline just like that. How would something like that happen? The only way someone could end up in another timeline would be an abduction by a timetraveler. That WOULD explain two phenomena: 1) alien abductions, it's been said before that ufo's and aliens could very well be travelers from the future. In that case alien abductions could be explained as people being taken to another time or timeline... 2) Often people see doubles, look-a-likes, of someone they know, while that person is somewhere else at that moment. Perhaps these doubles are in fact people from another timeline?

I remain sceptic about the possibility of timetravel and the existance of parallel universes, however it is an interesting subject and I like discussing it.

Greetings, from cold, freezing and rainy Amsterdam :)

Yes, aliens could be our decendants, a thousand years from now. However I still believe doorways or rifts, ripples or what ever you want to call them, open doorways on occasion and some poor unsuspecting jerk walks through without ever seeing it. Poof, missing person.

Years ago, I read that events can result from future actions, or the cause can happen before the result. I'm beginning to accept that possibility.

Hi NoTime,

Could you elaborate on that? From my point of view causes in the future cannot have a result in the present.

I also believe that the future is not yet determined... That would somehow rule out the possibility of timetravelers from the future entering our present. My guess is that all possible futures have already "branched out". It's only a matter of choice whether certain events take place or not.

I wish I was able to utilize the idle 70% of my brain. This matter is reaching over my head! Anyway, I'll give it another thought.

Greetings from Amsterdam
Roel

If you were to enter a time machine right now and travel back to 1900, the people of that time may say you could'nt be from the future because you have'nt even been born yet. Their perspective is the same as yours. They are living out their time as if the future is open and empty space not yet used. And yet here we are. Possibly 100 years from now there is someone that has traveled "back" to observe US.

Roel

Alien abductions. Missing persons. Every immaginable statistic is watched these days. Some where somebody knows how many cups of coffee were consumed between 9 and 10 AM for each day of the week. Somebody keeps track of the daily number of dog bites in NYC. So you can bet that who goes missing, when and where is all on disk somewhere. But like cold weather at the beach, nobody likes to talk about it. I've never seen a single book or article on the subject and I read just about everything. We could say that the journalism on the subject is as missing as the supposed "non-victims".

So whats my point? I dunno. It gives me the same feeling you'd get when your oil light keeps flashing at odd intervals but your engine checks out "ok".

Dopplegangers are in a way the opposite of missing persons. I've seen other people that look, act move and sound so much like myself it's litterally made my hair stand on end. Many times over the years I had people say they have seen me places where I know I have never been.

As for parallel worlds all I can say is "believe it !"

Shadow, You crack me up! You have a great dry sence of humor. I've never thought of doppelgangers as the opposite of missing persons-that's really funny. I hope your a stand up comic, it would be a shame to waste your cleverness on just us.

Morkie

Logic is serial. Humor is parallel.

Comic relief is never wasted. It is the acknowledgement of waste itself.

We laugh we cry
tis but the essence
of that gone by.

Roel: I suppose that a future action might cause a result in the present if time is not serial in the sense that we are used to thinking it is. Also, if we eventually learn to manipulate time like we manipulate so many other things, then we can probably change events in the past. That would be the same principle as a future action causing a result in the present.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. I've tried to visualize time as something non-linear, but I find it difficult to grasp. In my opinion events take place in a certain order and events in the past, present and future do not exist parallel to oneanother. But I'm not sure if that's what you meant...?

Roel

Back