"The future ain't what it used to be."

Who believes that time travel is possible?

Now imagine that everything we experience is being recorded like an 1891 movie.

That's the point I was making. We don't have to imagine it nor is it anything special. That is precisely how nature (the laws of physics) works, i.e. it is absolutely the normal situation for all signals transmission. It isn't what we are calling time travel, however. Time travel, especially to the past rather than receiving naturally delayed signals from the past, is an exceptional situation that either edges up against the bound of what the laws of physics allow or is in reality forbidden by the laws of physics. We still don't know which answer is correct.

True but trivial (trivial not in the demeaning sense but as used in math and science).

Everything that you perceive; given the speed of light, the speed of sound, the speed of neurotransmission, etc.; is a view of the past once the signal is received. All sensory inputs are transmitted over a given distance and it takes some period of time to arrive at and be processed by the receiver.

Reminds me of the Saccade effect...

"When voluntary saccadic eye movements are made to a silently ticking clock, observers sometimes think that the second hand takes longer than normal to move to its next position1. For a short period, the clock appears to have stopped (chronostasis). Here we show that the illusion occurs because the brain extends the percept of the saccadic target backwards in time to just before the onset of the saccade. This occurs every time we move the eyes but it is only perceived when an external time reference alerts us to the phenomenon. The illusion does not seem to depend on the shift of spatial attention that accompanies the saccade. However, if the target is moved unpredictably during the saccade, breaking perception of the target's spatial continuity, then the illusion disappears."

Yarrow et al, 2001

Reminds me of the Saccade effect...

"When voluntary saccadic eye movements are made to a silently ticking clock, observers sometimes think that the second hand takes longer than normal to move to its next position1. For a short period, the clock appears to have stopped (chronostasis). Here we show that the illusion occurs because the brain extends the percept of the saccadic target backwards in time to just before the onset of the saccade. This occurs every time we move the eyes but it is only perceived when an external time reference alerts us to the phenomenon. The illusion does not seem to depend on the shift of spatial attention that accompanies the saccade. However, if the target is moved unpredictably during the saccade, breaking perception of the target's spatial continuity, then the illusion disappears."

Yarrow et al, 2001

But that's not the point I'm attempting to get across.

When you look at something - your computer screen, your car, friend, a tree, yourself in a mirror, whatever...

The object that you are looking at is some distance from you. The image of that object is carried to you through photons. It took those photons, traveling at the speed of light, a period of time to travel from the object to your eyes. When the photons strike the rods and cones in your eyes the event that you see is already well into the past. You are perceiving something that has already occured but which no longer exists in the state that you see it. You can never observe an object as it "is" because that statement is without meaning relative to the reality that we are physically able to perceive. This is a concept far more mysterious than any New Age crap such as is frequently posted here and elsewhere. New Agers have absolutely no imagination. They are, in the main, rather dull and boring people in that regard.

But that is not time travel. It is our normal, everyday, common existence. It is the essence of reality. Not an illusion, trick of the mind, saccadian movement or anything else. It is the fabric of spacetime in a world where the speed of light is both finite and fixed.

And that reality is embodied by Special Relativity.

1 sec ~= 300,000,000 m​
1 m ~= 1/300,000,000 sec​
Or 1 foot ~= 1 billionth of a second. When you look at something, measure the the number of feet that the object is away from you and multiply that number by 1 billionth of a second. That's how far into the past the image came from.

I read the following in her article...

I read somewhere once that Einstein theorized space is curved. Swedish mathematician Klein proposed that our three known dimensions hide deep within them a fourth dimension known as "curled," or like a circle.

...and that's all I needed to read.

For Christ's sake, Thomas. The two sentences fully reveal her knowledge and timliness about physics. The two sentences are statements about the state of physics that existed in the mid-1920's.

Need I say more?

I read the following in her article...
...and that's all I needed to read.

For Christ's sake, Thomas. The two sentences fully reveal her knowledge and timliness about physics. The two sentences are statements about the state of physics that existed in the mid-1920's.

Need I say more?

Nope. You've said enough. Thanks.

But that's not the point I'm attempting to get across.

When you look at something - your computer screen, your car, friend, a tree, yourself in a mirror, whatever...

The object that you are looking at is some distance from you. The image of that object is carried to you through photons. It took those photons, traveling at the speed of light, a period of time to travel from the object to your eyes. When the photons strike the rods and cones in your eyes the event that you see is already well into the past. You are perceiving something that has already occured but which no longer exists in the state that you see it.

And that reality is embodied by Special Relativity.

1 sec ~= 300,000,000 m​
1 m ~= 1/300,000,000 sec​
Or 1 foot ~= 1 billionth of a second. When you look at something, measure the the number of feet that the object is away from you and multiply that number by 1 billionth of a second. That's how far into the past the image came from.

I undestand where you're coming from now. But given what you've said, how accurate can measurements involving time etc, really be?

Just wondering how many people here actually believe that time travel could be possible.

I do believe in time travel.
I think astral projection would take you any time of your personal live, I mean childhood or youth and also to your immediate future but ONLY as an viewer, I can tell about a dozen of witness who certainly saw, talk and act in a different way, in situations that have passed and did not alter at all the present. BUT on the other hand, for future events they were able to avoid o change details that previously happened..
That's all

The problem is, from a scientific perspective, that there is a serious flaw in such thinking.

It implies that astral projection is 'not physical'. If that is the case...then how does something that is not physical interact with the physical world ? The very definition of 'physical' is existence and interaction with the rest of the world. It is thus a complete logical contradiction to have a non-physical object interact with the physical world.

The biggest problem with 'astral' stuff is that if it cannot be weighed or measured or found to interact electromagnetically ( which it would HAVE to do for an astral body to 'see' the world ) then what conceivable evidence can there ever be that it exists ?

Something that cannot be scientifically demonstrated to exist seems an awful lot to me to have exactly the same characteristics as something that doesn't exist at all.

That is because science is as limited as religion.

I ask of you: Scientifically explain to me the presence of a thought, that does exist in one's own mind. It cannot be weighed, or measured, and its' not fully understood to be electromagnetic phenomena.

Back