What is your earliest memory?

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
Timekeeper
I’ve met a few people who have next to no memory of their childhood… But that’s a strange concept for me to grasp. I remember quite a bit of my childhood, and none of it has muddied much with the passage of time.

My earliest memory is getting one of these as a gift:

These came out in '73, but I was about 3 years old at the time… So the gift was probably a hand-me-down from my brother. I’ve got this flash-bulb memory of needing a fork to lever open a compartment to change the light bulb, and running into the kitchen to get one and bring it over. Super bright and clear memory for no real reason.

When we moved back to the west coast, we found this toy in my mom’s garage. Now it sits on the shelf in the hallway and my kids mess with it.

How far back can you remember? Feel free to share whatever your earliest recollection was too ?

So you say these toys came out in '73, and you were about 3 years old that year? As I recall, you once said you were born in '83. I hope I’m not getting too personal here, but if you were about 3 in '73, then a birth year of '83 is more than obviously incorrect. I’m confused. :confused:

Right, I was born in '83. I just noticed the toy was first released in 73 when I looked it up and guessed it must have been a hand-me-down from my brother when I got it in '86. He was born in '77.

My earliest memory is laying on the diaper changing table and my mom used these tiny white/pink Desitin samples. She was a nurse and probably got them from work.

You must have been SUPER little. Do you have more from that time, or just the one flashbulb memory?

I have another memory from around that time, but I’m not sure how old I was. Might have been before the toy thing but I can’t tell. We were at the apartments and my mom was carrying me up the stairs to the front door. The stairs didn’t have the vertical risers on them, like this:

1643153447796.webp

I was terrified I was going to fall in the gaps somehow. There were also these big round red fire alarms on the walls outside so I stared at those instead of the stairs so I wouldn’t be scared. Say that five times fast.

The earliest thing that I can remember is falling off a cradle

But that memory is soo old that for some reason it feels fabricated as if it never happened… well I’m not quite sure if it really did happen or my brain just made up that scene.

and apart from that the only other oldest memory that I can think of is asking my Grandpa to split open a frozen cream-cookie so that I could lick the cream off of it

I always wonder what my kids first memories will be. Hopefully good ones ? Our middle child is three; she remembers stuff from more than a year ago.

That’d be fascinating to remember something like that. Do you recall what you heard or were thinking?

When I was in my mother’s stomach, I heard voices. I remember hearing classical music, and then, when it ended, I heard a metallic voice. I asked him questions (mentally), he answered me. Then, for the first time I opened my eyes, saw how the light shines through the skin (inside), then I closed my eyes. Further, time passed and it became very scary, I remember the fear, it turns out that this was the beginning of my labor.

I don’t know, there was just a voice that answered my mental questions. Moreover, this voice was only in the first months of pregnancy by me, closer to my birth it was no longer there.

Do you think your stage of development at the time was altering the voice, or was the voice genuinely metallic? I’m not sure how you could tell the difference but I find this fascinating.

Are you able to remember the questions you asked and what the replies were?

Hope you had a good holiday weekend!

The voice, as I understand it now, was metallic. I mentally asked questions, I also mentally received answers to them. But this did not last long. apparently, at some period of fruit ripening, the connection with something unusual is cut off.

I belong to special “children / people”. The lampposts near me stop working, sometimes bells start to ring during my passage between them, I am not vaccinated (not once) and I am not going to. What I asked this voice refers to my future after birth, since at the time of being in the stomach, I already realized that further birth and becoming a human being. The last thing I heard was the phrase “Creation is over.” From that moment on, there was no voice.

The voice, as I understand it now, was metallic
Metallic as in auto-tuned, or grinding metallic like the Iron Giant?

I've got a ton of questions about your story, I find it fascinating. If you'd allow, I'd like to spin this into its own thread and continue learning about this :)

I am very fascinated in that a traveler like me has seen this outcome, for all my brethren have fallen. I have yet to help this world, but I see now the human race is still tearing itself apart. I feel that it is necessary to state that we will all be wiped out sooner or later, but the mass destruction  that will happen is inconceivable to the human mind. Choose not to believe me, but when it happens, it will be impossible to prepare for.